Author Topic: Front grille retaining plates ...does this look like how they go  (Read 1290 times)

Offline rnegless

I forgot the grille retainers when I put this together 30+ years ago.  Luckily, I don't throw anything away and I found the retainers.  My questions are
1.  Is this 5/16 headed screw really suppose to be 3/4 of an inch long (looks to long). 
2. does that retainer capture the horizontal grille fins (as I tried to picture)
3.  I forgot
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 07:33:26 PM by rnegless »
68 San Jose 390 GT 4sp 3:25 Decor 12/29/67

Offline Keith Stem

Re: Front grille retaining plates ...does this look like how they go
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 08:53:01 AM »
The screw length is 3/4, my original screws are a P&O finish.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 05:52:00 PM »
Though we had covered the plate orientation in a thread in the past but can't find it at the moment or it could have been a 67 question with example. The plate under the screw head could be described as "capturing" the grill fin/openings punched in the grill material

The area of the car is some what difficult to take a picture of and not one that someone would take a picture of except if they were looking to document that specific area. Have pictures from the forward side of the attachment area such as a picture in the Unrestored Picture Section of this site under the title below

Re: Early 68 San Jose S Code 4 Speed Fastback - Unrestored Picture Thread
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rnegless

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 07:43:43 PM »
This is what it looks like from the other side.  The retainer plate  laid in like it belonged there.
68 San Jose 390 GT 4sp 3:25 Decor 12/29/67