Author Topic: Help identifying piece acquired in package tray find  (Read 2537 times)

Offline HDAshmore

Help identifying piece acquired in package tray find
« on: July 21, 2021, 11:28:47 PM »
Team,

I bought a couple of 1970 sports roof package trays and liners in fairly nice shape.   As part of the lot was a rectangle piece of liner that matched the package tray liners in material and markings but totally different shape and stunning condition.

Can anyone tell me what this piece may be go to?

It appears to have been glued to something in the past if I interpret the witness marks correctly.

Pad 1 and Pad 2 are the pics of piece in question.

Pad 3 and package tray pics are just for reference in shape difference.

Thanks,
Dan

Offline Mike_B_SVT

Re: Help identifying piece acquired in package tray find
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 01:01:47 AM »
Looks kinda like a divider / barrier that would go behind the back seat. 
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 06:08:51 PM »
Dan interesting find and puzzle. In the pictures you provided we can see the (first two top pictures) the panel that is in question and then a picture of a typical waffle style insulation panel for the sport roof package tray for a non fold down car and finally the package tray for the same. So from scaling the question panel to the tail gate and the package tray it is not as tall nor as wide and the package tray or the typical insulation panel plus has a couple of addition cut outs on one edge and lacks another on the other long edge.

I think that Mike is correct in that it is a divider panel that would be installed between the rear seat of a coupe and the metal panels/reinforcements that lead into the trunk and attach to the metal package tray panel. Spent a while with this chasing down possibilities and facts

I rotated the one picture to show the orientation (likely IMHO) it if installed in a car with a non-moveable rear seat. 

If you notice there are two (arrows) cut outs for securing the panel in place which once opened would slip over a horn sort of section of two of the panels between the interior and trunk of a car.

If it had been from or repurposed on the factory line from another car built on the same line we have three main issues

First - the material is not the type or from the same provider of the typical style used at any of the three plants in 70 for this purpose. Only two style I've been able to find at all of the plants is a limp uncoated jute underlayment layer either very dark or a medium brown. Both held up poorly over time

Second - the orientation of the knock outs and the cut out for the seat hooks are reversed on the part in question

Third - the design does not match what was used on other cars on that same line.

On a 70 coupe application there were four spots for knock outs to attach the panel and hold it in place. Two upper and two lower. Since Dan's panel in question only has two that should eliminate that possibility

If your still trying things to figure this out you might want to compare the different pattern pressed into or the dust pattern in the panel to the metal reinforcement panel to see how it lines up.

Since neither of the two knockouts were used IMHO this panel was originally installed in a fastback  as a makeshift insulator panel for some unknown reason. What it was originally designed for I don't know and one would need to search all the other Ford and Mercury body styles built that year. Likely only a handful of spot roofs were built with this insulation panels at a specific plant and time period. Since we don't know when or where this came from I would not reuse if for that purpose but maybe used the material for making a bunch of under the rear window panel insulation that is visible through the trunks on 69 and 70 sport roofs

Best I've got at this point.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 06:12:03 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 07:03:54 PM »
J_Speegle,

Thank you, I really appreciate all the analysis. 

I put it in general discussion because I don't know what year, model or even product line it may come from, Ford, Chevy, Truck, Station Wagon, Death Star or Klingon Warship. 

I referenced the package trays and pics with it as he handed me that with them.  The waffle pattern and white markings in the material all look similar but shape and color were vey different obviously.  I would love for it to be something that belongs on one my two 70s sports roofs.  However, the previous owner had no information on what it came from.

If I need to take any measurements or additional photos and post I would absolutely do so.  I appreciate any and all feedback provided by all the great members of this site.

Dan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 08:35:00 PM »
I put it in general discussion because I don't know what year, model or even product line it may come from, Ford, Chevy, Truck, Station Wagon, Death Star or Klingon Warship. 

Yes some subjects are difficult to pick a section for.  Might fit better in the generic "Parts" section since allot of "what is this" ones have been moved there
Jeff Speegle

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 10:59:37 PM »
Here are some pics taken during tear down of my 70 Mach.
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 01:32:19 PM »
Mach,

That sure looks like it.  I didn't find that in my tear down so I had no reference.  I think between your pics and jspeegkes analysis, I have a piece  needed for my Mach 1 back seat panel to be correct.

Thanks all for the assistance.
Dan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 05:35:03 PM »
Here are some pics taken during tear down of my 70 Mach.

Guess I've not disassembled or owned enough 70 Mach I's. THANKS that is a great find and picture. Shows the benefit of leaning on the collective experiences and knowledge of the members here. Has the punch out and hooks as we discussed earlier

Thanks again. Has to be a tough piece to find 

A question if I may. Are or were these hooks or hook brackets at the bottom of the upper rear seat panels that engaged the punch or knock out, cutouts?  In your pictures the locates appear to line up with where the pad is torn and the area is not clear enough for me to make out.

That sure looks like it.  I didn't find that in my tear down so I had no reference.  I think between your pics and jspeegkes analysis, I have a piece  needed for my Mach 1 back seat panel to be correct.....

Dad if your car is not a Mach I that likely explains why you didn't find one on your car when you took it apart

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 06:37:04 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2021, 01:12:38 AM »
My car is a Mach 1.  January of 70 Dearborn. My back panel didn't have that padding.  But I do not know if previous owners removed it.  Did all plants use the same piece?

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 01:13:04 PM »
My car is a Mach 1.  January of 70 Dearborn. My back panel didn't have that padding.  But I do not know if previous owners removed it.  Did all plants use the same piece?

My Mach is March '70 built, the line worker may have been waiting for a re-supply and decided to proceed without the piece.
Mark C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 03:29:12 PM »
My Mach is March '70 built, the line worker may have been waiting for a re-supply and decided to proceed without the piece.

Just chasing down a possible observation. Does or did you back set upper frame have brackets that held the pad through the punch out holes. Your top two seem to possibly have something there and in the bottom picture there appears that something in those two locations may have been removed

Jeff Speegle

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 12:49:57 PM »
I think what the wear marks youre pointing to may be where the upholstered seat back was resting when it was in place. I dont recall any additional brackets between the seat back and the seat back support.
Mark C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 06:37:02 PM »
I think what the wear marks youre pointing to may be where the upholstered seat back was resting when it was in place. I dont recall any additional brackets between the seat back and the seat back support.

Just confirming since you have a car/example available

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 07:50:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle