Author Topic: GT fog light wiring issue  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Rick D

GT fog light wiring issue
« on: July 20, 2021, 10:20:03 PM »
I restored a May 5, 1965 San Jose GT A code Coupe with Pony Interior, automatic, power steering, two speed wipers.  We are certain that this was an early factory GT.  The wiring was a mess since the car sat open to the weather for 21 years.  I was not confident in the wiring so I purchased a new harness from a supposed reputable company.  There were two part numbers available?one for a GT and one for a non-GT.    I obviously ordered the GT version.  The car is complete with one issue.  When you turn on the fog lights, the tail lights do NOT come on.  I remember, or think I do, that correct GTs should have the tails come on with the fogs.  I have a friend with a 66 GT that we know to be a factory GT.  It has been in the same family since new.  Its tails do come on with the fogs.

2 questions.  Did they change the way the lights worked between my May 65 build date and the 66?s Jan 66 build date?

Or, is my ?correct GT? brand new wiring harness not set up properly?

Do you think there is an easy fix?

Thanks.
66 GT Convertible, A code (3rd owner)
San Jose built, Sacramento raised until 97
Body 76B, Color T, Int F3, Date 13A, DSO 72, Axle A, Trans 5

65 GT Coupe, A Code (in progress)
San Jose built (Saved from TX junkyard)
Body 65B, Color D, Int 67, Date 05S, DSO 72, Axle 1, Trans 6  (white top, A/C, PS)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: GT fog light wiring issue
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 11:16:03 PM »
The tail light connectors changed between late 65 (including the GT) and 66.  Both should intercept the running lights, but in different ways.  The 65GT foglamp wiring is hard-wired into the headlight switch, whereas the 66 has a pigtail junction at the tail-light connector, from what I remember. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Rick D

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 01:26:51 AM »
Does that make them function differently from the 66 GT.    Specifically, should the tail lights come on with the fog light switch on the 65 or would just the fog lights illuminate?
66 GT Convertible, A code (3rd owner)
San Jose built, Sacramento raised until 97
Body 76B, Color T, Int F3, Date 13A, DSO 72, Axle A, Trans 5

65 GT Coupe, A Code (in progress)
San Jose built (Saved from TX junkyard)
Body 65B, Color D, Int 67, Date 05S, DSO 72, Axle 1, Trans 6  (white top, A/C, PS)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 11:11:29 AM »
No, they should function the same: running lights on with foglamps on.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 01:18:06 PM »
No, they should function the same: running lights on with foglamps on.

+1 The taillights should turn on with the fog light switch on a 1965 GT.  I have a late July 1965 Metuchen built factory GT.

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open