Author Topic: Batch Gray Undercarriage  (Read 3824 times)

Offline cob428

Batch Gray Undercarriage
« on: July 05, 2021, 12:09:06 PM »
Was the red oxide primer used at all on the late built shelby's or was it all batch gray?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 03:24:03 PM by J_Speegle »
Concourse Wantabe
69 GT 500 Built Dearborn 06/69
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Batch Gray Undercarriage
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 02:56:51 PM »
Was the red oxide primer used at all on the late built shelby's or was it all batch gray?
It was most typically the batch grey on later production 69/70 Shelby. The red oxide was more typical prior to Feb 1969.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 03:24:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 03:35:43 PM »

My documentation and pictures show a different pattern or should say lack of pattern with original floors from firewall rearward from

First of Oct
Multiple examples in December
Multiple examples in February
Few in the middle to end of April
Few in May

It would be much easier IMHO if they all fell in a neat pattern - just not what I've found on original paint cars

Majority are/were still a batch color - mostly the dark blue grays with some periods of a greenish version while even smaller periods with lighter greens or blue

Firewall forward were again red oxide colored except for some very very small periods where they emulated what was done in the following year at Dearborn
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 04:20:24 PM »
Everybody seems to miss the "why". In this time period, and in another money saving policy, Ford mixed leftover batches of paint together to make "primer". The colors probably varied daily if not hourly. In effect, there is no "correct" color. That's why there is no specific color you can find.
Remember, Ford was not building concourse grade cars.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline cob428

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 04:21:38 PM »
ok Jeff so the red oxide primer was still used in the forward area? Batch gray was rearward under the vehicle then?
Concourse Wantabe
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 07:56:58 PM »
Must be pointed out that the best place to find this information is during dissembly and documentation of your car if it has not been striped in the past

If you lack this for some unfortunate situation then looking at other cars finished the same day and plant may provide the best guidance to go forward with

ok Jeff so the red oxide primer was still used in the forward area?

Vast, vast majority of cars built that year and plant

Batch gray was rearward under the vehicle then?

Approximately from the bottom or mid way in the transition of the firewall to floor rearward to just short of the rear cross member. Batch would represent what is more often found but as mentioned above there were periods of red oxide and and the tints and tone of later batch mixtures seem to be wider than earlier in the year.

Though I would post some pictures of both the more typical batch colors. Left off the odd ball colors that are less often seen so as to not confuse the subject or to suggest to someone viewing that they would be an "option" when painting their car

And examples of the red oxide 

Just picked some examples of each that had a decent view of the color and tried to spread them across the months. Do have more of course
Jeff Speegle

Offline cob428

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 06:20:31 PM »
Finally got to the undercarriage and have the vehicle on a rotisserie. I have multiple spots (June 69 build) that has what appears the same color that you show above for June build. Any idea what color or just mix until I come up with something very close. Very dark gray, slight metallic hue but definitely has some blue in it

Pete
Concourse Wantabe
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 08:18:36 PM »
Finally got to the undercarriage and have the vehicle on a rotisserie. I have multiple spots (June 69 build) that has what appears the same color that you show above for June build. Any idea what color or just mix until I come up with something very close. Very dark gray, slight metallic hue but definitely has some blue in it

Pete

There is a 2000 or so VW dark gray I've used as a base to start from for similar colors and I've added green or blue to that to get approximately the same color. That would be my suggestion.

Will look ad see if I can find the code for that base in, if I recall correctly, Ditzler/PPG
Jeff Speegle

Offline cob428

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 05:24:52 PM »
Jeff as you can see the only area I have to work with is the little area where both exhaust hangers were that were painted when the undercarriage was done.

Pete
Concourse Wantabe
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 06:49:05 PM »
Jeff as you can see the only area I have to work with is the little area where both exhaust hangers were that were painted when the undercarriage was done.

Pete

Yes that last "restoration" didn't get it right is appears though you got lucky, sort of, that for some reason they taped around those mount pads in a rush. They should not have done it that way but because they did you have a sample.  Firewall forward will depend on when it was built but most likely red oxide epoxy since that was the majority overall
Jeff Speegle

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2022, 03:13:05 AM »
Here is the VW grey paint applied on my car.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2022, 11:41:46 AM »
Here is the VW grey paint applied on my car.
That looks extremely light in shade compared to the typical as seen in my monitor. It may be a starting point to add color to as a base and although the batch paint had no specific formula from one batch to the next there is typical and not typical shade . That shade is not only not typical but that shade screams out not original IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2022, 12:01:46 PM »
I consolidated all of my spray out samples for my version of batch paint.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 10:21:12 PM by ninedrvr »
1969 GT500 Convertible Recreation

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2022, 01:48:09 AM »
Bob, that's just the reflection of the bright lights under the car.  It's a dark grey 

Offline cob428

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2022, 12:43:49 PM »
I cant open the link for ninedrvr I don't know if anyone else is having that issue or not?

Pete
Concourse Wantabe
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake