Author Topic: Is the body gromment on this sending wire oriented the right way?  (Read 700 times)

Offline rnegless

I'm planning to replace low fuel sender with a regular one.  I have a sender wire in my pile but I can't remember what it came off.  There  are no numbers on it... does it look correct?  I noticed the body grommet is 180 out from the low fuel sending wire so it has me wondering.  I know I'm getting annoying here and I appreciate the help
68 San Jose 390 GT 4sp 3:25 Decor 12/29/67

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Is the body gromment on this sending wire oriented the right way?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 10:23:55 PM »
Wow.  I don't know whether it is correct, but that sure is strange for grommet orientation.  With a male/female bullet connector, it will work just fine. 

From what I can tell, grommet direction is such that there is only one way to install it with the rest of the harness; with your short "pigtail" harness, it really doesn't make a difference.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 1967FEGT

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 01:20:57 AM »
I've never seen a separate connector except for use with the low fuel sender. It should have a 90 degree boot and they are customarily a single yellow wire that is part of the rear harness.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 08:40:15 AM »
Both the 1968 and 1969 trunk wiring harnesses use a separate extension as shown in your photo. It was installed from inside the trunk. These are available as reproductions.

Since there is only one bullet connector , it looks a little odd connecting to a double plug inside the trunk, but that is the way Ford installed them. The "low fuel" warning light is the green side of your double low fuel, wire harness. It is only used with the convenience warning option on a 1968.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 10:08:06 AM by Coralsnake »

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 10:47:34 AM »
IMHO the deluxe rear harness had wiring for the low fuel and rear window defogger in it and used the short lead to the fuel tank, so if the car had a rear window defogger and no convivence light option it would have used the single short wire fuel sender wire. It may also have been used as a substitute for the standard long single wire harness.

I seams to me the grommet from out side to in must be a mistake, oriented that way it would make a bump in the trunk and get damaged.     

Offline rnegless

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 01:14:41 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  Its nice to get advice from enthusiast/experts here.  It was over 30 years ago that I restored the car and I have forgotten some of they why and the how. The hobby was different in the 80s. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 01:55:28 PM by rnegless »
68 San Jose 390 GT 4sp 3:25 Decor 12/29/67