Author Topic: Trim code 68, (Ivy Gold/White) dash pad color (dashpad)  (Read 1311 times)

Offline TonyFio

Trim code 68, (Ivy Gold/White) dash pad color (dashpad)
« on: June 23, 2021, 07:47:56 PM »
I'm at the point of my restoration that I'm purchasing interior items.

For the dash pad, looking at the TMI web site,

https://www.tmiproducts.com/products/molded-dash-pad-1964-66-mustang

they have two colors, #2286-Ivy Gold and  #2503-Light Ivy Gold. Their rep said the correct color was the 2503, the Light color. I've seen photos of restorations with a fairly dark pads, but not sure about originals. Unfortunately, my original dash pad is long gone (40 year project and counting).

The photo shows a spreadsheet (from here someplace) with the dash pad as Med Ivy Gold but with a '?' rather than an 'X'. The A-pillar is showing as Light Ivy Gold, matching the rest of the interior metal. I would expect the dash pad to be a closer match to the A-pillar, not darker, which seems to be what TMI is saying (they are sending me color samples).

I want to get these ordered as they're quoting 12 week lead times. Yikes!

Anyone know, or have originals for reference?
Tony Fiorenza
65 Lux Coupe, SJ built, 5/65, owned since 1974

Offline rockhouse66

Re: Trim code 68, (Ivy Gold/White) dash pad color (dashpad)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 11:29:09 PM »
Should look like this.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 11:44:55 PM »
Nice.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 02:01:31 AM »
Very nice. Thanks for the feedback.

It looks close to A-pillar color, maybe a little darker? Is that original, or if not, where did you get it?
Tony Fiorenza

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 02:09:28 AM »
Follow up on the door and A-Pillar color, is it PPG/Ditzler #22670 (Light Ivy Gold)?
Tony Fiorenza

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 08:50:09 AM »
Very nice. Thanks for the feedback.

It looks close to A-pillar color, maybe a little darker? Is that original, or if not, where did you get it?

It is darker, more like carpet color, and is a reproduction, probably from NPD and probably Classic Industries.  I am not sure the repro dash pad is still available in this color though I do think they still list an Ivy Gold?

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 10:48:35 AM »
Follow up on the door and A-Pillar color, is it PPG/Ditzler #22670 (Light Ivy Gold)?

The A-pillar does match the door.  I can't remark on your paint reference.  My painter had lacquer custom matched to something but I don't recall what.  Sorry.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 12:38:15 PM »
The dash pad that rockhouse66 posted is to light. Attached are pictures of the dash from my 10K mile convertible. The pad is dark like the carpet. The pillar color is the same as the doors.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 01:54:31 PM »
Thanks again.

I'll do more research. All I'm seeing on Classic Industries site is something called "Vinyl Wrapped Dash Pad". Not sure what that means (yet). Big price difference for that ($200) vs $800 at TMI. TMI is made to order though. Apparently the dash pad should match the color of the embossed pony on the seats which I still have.
Tony Fiorenza

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 01:56:56 PM »
The dash pad that rockhouse66 posted is to light. Attached are pictures of the dash from my 10K mile convertible. The pad is dark like the carpet. The pillar color is the same as the doors.

So the guy at TMI is incorrect. Is the dash pad color the same as the embossed pony?
Tony Fiorenza

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 11:18:57 AM »
So the guy at TMI is incorrect. Is the dash pad color the same as the embossed pony?

The dash pad is very close to the color of the embossed section of the seats, perhaps a little darker.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2021, 01:16:56 PM »
Thanks. Looking at your photos, I realized I do have the trim pieces in the original color and can us those for color matching.
Tony Fiorenza

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 01:35:20 PM »
Comparing the two sets of photos, the after market pad drops quite a bit further down in the center. It's down past the radio knobs. Based on the photo on the TMI site, it has the same center drop. Assuming the TMI photo is correct, I'm not spending that kind of money for an incorrect part. Hopefully someone is making the correct form.
Tony Fiorenza

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2021, 01:51:40 PM »
Comparing the two sets of photos, the after market pad drops quite a bit further down in the center. It's down past the radio knobs. Based on the photo on the TMI site, it has the same center drop. Assuming the TMI photo is correct, I'm not spending that kind of money for an incorrect part. Hopefully someone is making the correct form.

That's the difference between a '65 and '66 dashpad, the '66 one drops down in the middle and also the ends, it doesn't use the stainless eyebrow trim like a '65.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2021, 04:47:12 PM »

That's the difference between a '65 and '66 dashpad, the '66 one drops down in the middle and also the ends, it doesn't use the stainless eyebrow trim like a '65.

Thanks Charles. Good to know.
Tony Fiorenza