Author Topic: Installing Repro Defroster Vents  (Read 644 times)

Offline Kingchief

Installing Repro Defroster Vents
« on: June 22, 2021, 10:33:27 AM »
Hi, I am fixing to install new Repro defroster vents in the dash [cardboard ones are unobtanium] and have a question. Do the vests attach from under the dash OR do they go in through the top of the dash??? Any picture would be swell. The car is a 66 Shelby with a oct/nov 65 build date.

Thanks again,

Steve
SFM 6S406

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Installing Repro Defroster Vents
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 10:46:46 AM »
Hi, I am fixing to install new Repro defroster vents in the dash [cardboard ones are unobtanium] and have a question. Do the vests attach from under the dash OR do they go in through the top of the dash??? Any picture would be swell. The car is a 66 Shelby with a oct/nov 65 build date.

Thanks again,

Steve
Steve ,they drop down from above the dash and are held in by special push clips that are also reproduced. I would suggest if you insist on using the plastic repro defroster vents to bead blast them prior to install. The process will change the shiny black look so as to at least give them a little closer dark gray flat look that the cardboard originals have .  Are the hose tubes you are using square or round?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Kingchief

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 11:36:15 AM »
Thanks Bob. I have to use round as that is all that I know is available on the repro market. Good idea on the bead blasting. Would sanding them with paper or abrasive material work??? Unfortunately, no access to a bead blaster.

Thanks again!

Steve
SFM 6S406

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 01:11:29 PM »
Thanks Bob. I have to use round as that is all that I know is available on the repro market. Good idea on the bead blasting. Would sanding them with paper or abrasive material work??? Unfortunately, no access to a bead blaster.

There are usually plenty of good used or sometimes NOS available with some searching.  Would much rather have oem parts on a Shelby.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Kingchief

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 02:16:48 PM »
Hi Charles and would LOVE to have OEM hoses on my car but I like to drive my car not sitting idle and waiting for parts!!! LOL! All the ones I am seen on epay just don't measure up...either beat up, rusty or torn.

Thanks for your input. I have used an NOS antenna from you and it's PERFECT. Thank you.

All the best,

Steve
SFM 6S406