Author Topic: VIN on K-code block  (Read 2533 times)

Offline fast66

VIN on K-code block
« on: June 21, 2021, 04:14:52 AM »
Hi again,
I have now received pictures of the engine supposedly original to my car (Metuchen mid February 1966, K-code GT).

Engine  is fully restored, come wit a restored 4-speed but sit on a low stand, so its been hard to see any VIN on the block side for the elderly people that own the engine - it is also prayed in corporate blue, pretty thick coat...

Are there any known 66 K-codes that did NOT have a VIN on the block right side? I would like to know as I need to go a long way to look at it and the engine is on the expensive side...

thanks,
Claes
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: VIN on K-code block
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 10:45:14 AM »
Hi again,
I have now received pictures of the engine supposedly original to my car (Metuchen mid February 1966, K-code GT).

Engine  is fully restored, come wit a restored 4-speed but sit on a low stand, so its been hard to see any VIN on the block side for the elderly people that own the engine - it is also prayed in corporate blue, pretty thick coat...

Are there any known 66 K-codes that did NOT have a VIN on the block right side? I would like to know as I need to go a long way to look at it and the engine is on the expensive side...

thanks,
Claes
I have heard some anecdotal stories of non vin marked Metuchen and Dearborn blocks but none that I had full confidence in.   How would the sellers confirm it was the engine from your car in the first place if it didn't have the VIN?  I have heard enough BS hearsay stories to last a life time. Some where from people who genuinely believed the second hand BS and others who where just trying to justify something out of the ordinary . If no VIN any engine with a reasonable date code would qualify. Just my thoughts .Others may have different.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 01:09:56 PM »
I have heard some anecdotal stories of non vin marked Metuchen and Dearborn blocks but none that I had full confidence in.   
I know of two examples of an unmarked 289 HP engines. Both were blown up at the Connecticut Dragway in 1965. They were under warranty and Ford replaced both. Neither were mine. I drove the truck with the trailer for one. I assume they were originally Metuchin built due to the close proximity of New Jersey.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 06:02:38 PM »
Though we thought at one time the VIN was a warranty issue considering the possible abuse these engines would see but in more recent decades we've found documentation it was more of auto thief issue and the reason four speed transmissions were suppose to be stamped also.

There is where the rub comes in as its difficult to prove that the engine is original if it does not have a VIN and even if it does that is not always proof. If your going to use it for yourself then IMHO you need to figure out how comfortable with the details, story and findings. Unfortunately some clues were wiped away during the restoration and rebuild.  If purchasing for resale then expect many to question if the block is just a 289 with different main caps.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline warwick

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 07:14:27 PM »
My suggestion is to review the info available on the old HiPo Mustang web site regarding Metuchen and VIN stamped blocks.

Offline sgl66

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 08:13:40 PM »
I've owned mine since 1980 and there is no VIN stamp on the motor or trans. I bought it from the original owner and 6 or 7 years ago I asked him if he had ever had the motor and trans replaced and the answer was no. He was an M.I.T. engineer who kept meticulous records which I have, of all maintenance and expenses including gas fill ups and mileage and there is no indication of a motor swap. All the casting dates, engine assembly stamps etc. are what you would expect for a car assembled in October 65. I've spoken with Fred Ballard about this also and he told me he has owned some Metuchen cars with a VIN stamp and some without. Out of the 3 plants, Metuchen has the reputation of being consistently inconsistent but on the plus side, they were also adding build sheets and buck tags so they did have that going for them.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 10:08:57 PM »
I've owned mine since 1980 and there is no VIN stamp on the motor or trans. I bought it from the original owner and 6 or 7 years ago I asked him if he had ever had the motor and trans replaced and the answer was no. He was an M.I.T. engineer who kept meticulous records which I have, of all maintenance and expenses including gas fill ups and mileage and there is no indication of a motor swap. All the casting dates, engine assembly stamps etc. are what you would expect for a car assembled in October 65. I've spoken with Fred Ballard about this also and he told me he has owned some Metuchen cars with a VIN stamp and some without. Out of the 3 plants, Metuchen has the reputation of being consistently inconsistent but on the plus side, they were also adding build sheets and buck tags so they did have that going for them.

IMHO, that's the type of documentation/provenance that would be needed to justify a no-VIN stamp hi-po block.  Without documentation of some sort, it's just a guess.  The fact of the matter is they were supposed to be stamped with the VIN.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 12:38:16 AM »
My suggestion is to review the info available on the old HiPo Mustang web site regarding Metuchen and VIN stamped blocks.
It's gone. Try the new site https://hipo-mustang.com/
You will find Fred Ballard on that site.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline warwick

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 07:14:08 AM »
The "old" Forum database is available on the new forum.

Offline fast66

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 08:28:32 AM »
Thanks for your replies!

Car is an export with about 11 owners. I am talking to the next last owner who is "certain" its the cars engine. He did some research in the mid 90s...  the car had been around his town for many years then...
The block had a small crack when he bought it (now professionally welded) and another K-code (supposedly from a Fairlane (no VIN)) was sold with the car in 2002 to the guy I bought it from. I know the guys and the restorer and I have pictures from the internals of its current engine where rods etc are K stuff, but would if course want the original engine if possible. Will need to go and have a look in person, but its a days drive at least.

Claes

6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 11:22:02 AM »
Thanks for your replies!

Car is an export with about 11 owners. I am talking to the next last owner who is "certain" its the cars engine. He did some research in the mid 90s...  the car had been around his town for many years then...
The block had a small crack when he bought it (now professionally welded) and another K-code (supposedly from a Fairlane (no VIN)) was sold with the car in 2002 to the guy I bought it from. I know the guys and the restorer and I have pictures from the internals of its current engine where rods etc are K stuff, but would if course want the original engine if possible. Will need to go and have a look in person, but its a days drive at least.

Claes
Well if he is "certain" then there is that  ::)  ;D  . I hope this for "certain" non VIN marked engine gives you the satisfaction level that your current non VIN marked engine apparently doesn't.  All kidding aside I hope it works out for you . Best of luck in the purchase.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline sgl66

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 11:58:33 AM »
they were supposed to be stamped with the VIN.
I agree they were supposed to but Metuchen wasn't the best at doing everything by the book.
Remember this? https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=14255.msg88585#msg88585
They also bolted an 8 inch pinion snubber rubber to the 9" style plate welded to the floor in my car.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 05:12:50 PM by sgl66 »
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline fast66

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 02:56:33 PM »
I understand its a long shot, but if there's life there's 'hope ;-)

Checking with a few other Metuchen K-codes I know of...

Let you know more when I do :-D

Claes
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline fast66

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 12:55:28 PM »
...to spread some light on the Metuchen "procedures" mentioned earlier ;-) I just talked to a French friend who own a K-code GT Fastback, also an export car - only 12 cars before or after mine (memory) ...
..his VIN on the  the left (driver) side of the block :-O

//Claes
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 11:28:48 PM »
Hej Classe,
Never heard of any Vin being stamped on the driver's side. The original stamp on one of the HiPo's I have owned
was very difficult to see and I spent quite a long time cleaning the area before it became visible.
Texas Swede