Author Topic: Fuel line clamps at fuel filter  (Read 4535 times)

Offline ruppstang

Fuel line clamps at fuel filter
« on: June 19, 2021, 10:30:25 PM »
Has anyone seen fuel line clamps like this at the fuel filter? I found one on the fuel line when I got the car. I found in Bob Mannel's  book Small Block V8 62-69 that he shows a picture of this type of clamp and says that it was new for 68. A very respected judge has told me he has not seen them on any unrestored 68 GT350s. Could they have not been used on Shelby's? I would like your thoughts so I do what is most correct.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: Fuel line clamps at fuel filter
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 10:39:09 AM »
I do not believe those are assembly line clamps for a NJ 1968 302.  The band type pinch types are common. They maybe the type with three ears If the carb has been replaced
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 10:46:35 AM by Coralsnake »

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 11:08:43 AM »
Agree with Pete - the correct ones are blued flat steel with three ears. If you get an NOS Autolite replacement filter two of them come in the box.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 02:38:28 PM »
Ok it looks like I will be changing the clamps, but I am still curious about where Mr. Mannel got his information. Do you think that only the Shelby's used the flat clamps or all 68 Ford products. Do you think when the recalled 68 Shelby GT350 and  the latter ones with Holley carbs got the flat clamps. Our car is a 12-02-67 car that still has the cast iron intake manifold and Autolite carb.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 03:15:03 PM »
Ok it looks like I will be changing the clamps, but I am still curious about where Mr. Mannel got his information. Do you think that only the Shelby's used the flat clamps or all 68 Ford products. Do you think when the recalled 68 Shelby GT350 and  the latter ones with Holley carbs got the flat clamps. Our car is a 12-02-67 car that still has the cast iron intake manifold and Autolite carb.
I do not think the flat band square ear squeeze clamps are Shelby unique . I have not seen that wire type squeeze clamp being discussed on fuel lines of many of the non Holley 68 parts cars I have scavenged parts from over the years. That is not to say that style was not used at all just that if it was it is in the minority of usage it seems based on what I have seen.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 05:32:03 PM »
Don't recall ever finding that style clamp used and checking my pictures could not find another example using them
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 10:56:17 PM »
I talked with a restorer that has seen the wire spring clamps on a unrestored car. Since I found one on our car when I got it I thing I will leave them for now. I guess it would be best said that they are not typical.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 11:50:54 PM »
I talked with a restorer that has seen the wire spring clamps on a unrestored car. Since I found one on our car when I got it I thing I will leave them for now. I guess it would be best said that they are not typical.
So much not typical that expect to be dinged if seen by a knowledgeable Shelby judge in a concours venue . Given the continued entering in concours venues it my be more prudent to make the change to the more typical clamp for now . At the very least the spring clamps are more typically accepted as the de facto standard. Hang the wire clamp which there is a large question mark about on the wall until you stop entering in concours events. You can always add it back  after the car is retired from concours competition. That is unless you do not mind getting dinged when judged and the continued controversy of defending the controversial small item. Just saying. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 11:08:02 AM »
Something like a fuel hose attached to the filter is an assembly line part that would rarely survive on even the lowest mileage cars.  Lots of replacement fuel filter kits with those spring clamps.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 02:14:02 PM »
Something like a fuel hose attached to the filter is an assembly line part that would rarely survive on even the lowest mileage cars.  Lots of replacement fuel filter kits with those spring clamps.

There is a lot of experience talking on this thread and I need to listen.
I mean no offence to any of you in my questioning. I just want to restore the car as it was, not to please judging or save a point.
I found  the clamp on our car had slid down the fuel line to the fuel pump making me think it was original. But you all are right it could have been changed many times.

Offline preaction

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 04:02:37 PM »
This is a 20k mile unrestored July Dearborn 428 car.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 10:34:07 PM »
Thanks for the photos.

Clamps changed, moving on to the next thing.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 10:48:18 PM »
Just for others reference when they find this thread

Some pictures of the banded clamps

July 68 unrestored (one of the cars pictured in the Unrestored section) C code but sane engine assembly plant

And another unrestored - though some "improving" has taken place

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 12:41:38 AM »
Jeff are you saying that the crimp band clamps are original as well?

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 03:11:27 PM »
Just to be clear we are talking about two different things here. The crimp style band clamps would be expected on an original J code if the manifold and Carburetor has not been changed whether Mustang or Shelby. If the carburetor and manifold were changed at A.O. Smith and recall I would expect to see the flat three eared clamps installed however if it was recalled of the dealer other possibilities could?ve happened although unlikely.
The wire style as in your picture I have only ever seen with the service fuel filter kit
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America