Author Topic: Coil Bracket Finish  (Read 619 times)

Offline mmus65tang

Coil Bracket Finish
« on: June 15, 2021, 03:09:10 PM »
Need advise on finish for my coil bracket. I am restoring a 1966 mustang 289 hipo, August 12th (late car), Dearborn built car. I have read all of the threads in the library but am still confused which way to go. I have read that brackets could be PO (zinc phosphate) or semi-gloss black or even natural. What finish should I restore my bracket considering the date and build location.  Thanks for the help.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Coil Bracket Finish
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 08:45:49 PM »
Need advise on finish for my coil bracket. I am restoring a 1966 mustang 289 hipo, August 12th (late car), Dearborn built car. I have read all of the threads in the library but am still confused which way to go. I have read that brackets could be PO (zinc phosphate) or semi-gloss black or even natural. What finish should I restore my bracket considering the date and build location.  Thanks for the help.
The engines built around the time period of your car had coil brackets typically painted semigloss black. The engines came from the Cleveland Engine plant regardless of assemblyline plant location.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mmus65tang

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 09:43:34 PM »
Thanks, Bob.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 04:28:45 PM »
Would agree with Semi-gloss black for that production period. Didn't make a difference between C, A or K code

Did you happen to look at the pictures in the unrestored picture thread?
Especially the one titled

Late 66 San Jose C Code Coupe - and picture #6 from top in the first post. Sorry those were posted before I started labeling each picture individually
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)