Author Topic: Help Please: Axle Brake Line Routing for '70  (Read 4021 times)

Offline Angela

Help Please: Axle Brake Line Routing for '70
« on: June 05, 2021, 01:28:55 PM »
I ordered a set of rear axle brake lines from NPD and they are pre-bent such that they align with the brake hose exactly opposite of the attached image (note I'm reusing an image I found using Google).  My interpretation of the assembly manual would agree with the image below, meaning the left brake line hose should mate with the lower of the two holes in the brake hose distribution block.

The NPD axle lines align with the brake hose such that the left axle line aligns with the TOP hole while the right axle brake line aligns with the lower hole of the brake hose block.

Was there a change to the axle brake line routing? Or, is the assembly manual for 1970 and the image below correct?

Help is much appreciated! Thank you.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Help Please: Axle Brake Line Routing for '70
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 02:33:56 PM »
What is the application and cars completion date?  Engine and transmission would help to be able to provide a picture or two on an original
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 04:07:48 PM »
Application:  1970 Mach 1, 428 4spd
Build date:    October 8th, 1969

Thank you Jeff.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 07:48:54 PM »
A 4 speed 31 spline application is a different thing. Your picture shows the typical 9" assembly when staggered shocks are not used - different than your case. The vent hose and brake flex hose are divorced on a staggered shock 31 spline axle so there are two holes in the housing. Totally different brake lines and the RH wheel cylinder is also different.

Looked in the WCCC website there is a change for 1970 so both wheel cylinders are the same with the RH side facing forwards, LH side to the rear.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 10:05:03 AM by RoyceP »
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Angela

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 08:08:54 AM »
RoyceP, agreed. I stated the image above was merely one I grabbed from a google image search. Shown below, albeit a terrible photo, is my actual axle which shows the separate vent and brake hose mounting locations.

In both cases, however, I believe the brake line routing is fundamentally the same: The left axle brake line should route to the lower of the two brake hose dist block ports, while the right axle brake line should route to the top of the two brake hose dist block ports.

The axle brake line set I bought from NPD (PN 2267-10S, which is a classic tube branded part) is pre-bent as to mate with the brake hose distr block exactly opposite from that described above. I called NPD and they confirmed the PNs of the labels which were adhered to the classic tube lines are as they expect for 1970 Mustang 9". Regardless, I believe the classic tube lines I received are *not* bent correctly for this 1970 application.

In the assembly line diagram for 1970 (Osborne) I see only two variations of brake line routing: one for 428 and one for all other applications.

I would appreciate help locating pictures:
(a) Picture of the brake line routing at the brake hose on the left side of the rear axle
(b) Above the rear axle, showing the Front-to-rear brake line routing (bends) as it routes along the floor pan near the exhaust hangers and into the brake hose at the floor pan bracket.

Also, can you elaborate (by PN or photo) what is different about the left and right wheel cylinders for 1970? According to what I read (including that which I see sold at NPD), the wheel cylinders are different left to right for 1967, but the same left and right for 1970. If you're correct, then I need a different wheel cylinder.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 08:12:52 AM by Angela »

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 09:48:50 AM »
Sorry I don't have any pictures of that. The wheel cylinders for 1970 rear brake applications have r/h facing forwards, l/h facing rearwards and for that reason they are the same part numbers. This is different from 1968 - 69 so the hard line kit is specific for your car. There is a different hard line kit for staggered shock applications for that reason. Likely the application goes through 1973 but I don't mess with those newer cars.

I don't use NPD much because their website is pretty difficult to use. All the right parts for your Mustang are online at WCCC.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 10:05:48 AM by RoyceP »
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 11:32:12 AM »
+1 on the NPD site. It appears their site uses OR logic on multiple words so "fuel pump bracket" will return any item with the term fuel OR pump OR bracket so the results are often meaningless.
I can find stuff on their site quicker using the Google (only) option of "site:[URL] search terms"

Or, use the hard copy catalog to find the part and enter only the NPD part number.

And now, back to the topic at hand...
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 12:33:57 PM »
+1 on the NPD site. It appears their site uses OR logic on multiple words so "fuel pump bracket" will return any item with the term fuel OR pump OR bracket so the results are often meaningless.
Or, try your search with the parenthesis around the phrase, like this - "fuel pump bracket". This technique sometimes defeats the "OR" logic.
And, for your own sanity and well being - do not use Google. I prefer duckduckgo.
And now, back to the topic at hand...
Jim

« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 04:02:56 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 06:26:18 PM »
Application:  1970 Mach 1, 428 4spd
Build date:    October 8th, 1969

Thanks

From other 428 CJ and similar applications as well as plant though that doesn't really make a difference for this application since they were all assembled at Sterling

More details than just what you requested as I hope others in the future will find this thread using the search feature and the additional pictures will help them

Wheel cylinder was changed out long ago on this one

Jeff Speegle

Offline Angela

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 09:14:19 PM »
Thanks a TON Jeff!!!

Offline Angela

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 01:46:33 PM »
@J_Speegle   ---> Jeff, do you also happen to have any pictures of the "front to rear" brake line, specifically where it connects to the brake hose and then routes forward along the floor pan? I'm trying to find that detail and see if the brake line should be hung below the floor pan clips, or above those clips.
Thank you Sir.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 07:22:38 PM »
@J_Speegle   ---> Jeff, do you also happen to have any pictures of the "front to rear" brake line, specifically where it connects to the brake hose and then routes forward along the floor pan? I'm trying to find that detail and see if the brake line should be hung below the floor pan clips, or above those clips.
Thank you Sir.

California or 49 state car??
Jeff Speegle

Offline Angela

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 09:17:24 PM »
49 state

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2021, 05:00:03 PM »
This help

Jeff Speegle

Offline Angela

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2021, 02:43:58 PM »
Jeff, YES, that helps immensely!  Many Thanks!