Author Topic: door panel clips  (Read 607 times)

Offline fmr187

door panel clips
« on: May 28, 2021, 08:56:42 PM »
Assembly manuals call for door panel clips with foam on the bottom of the door panel. Why? Are the the foam clips necessary? I ordered some door panels and they came with clips but they are all foamless. How bad would it be to use non foam clips?
65 Convertible born in Dearborn on Feb 10

Offline RoyceP

Re: door panel clips
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 11:29:52 PM »

I get sets of those from AMK. They come with the foam. I suspect that, like anything else Ford did, it is there for a very good reason. They used the foam clips for a long time on door panels, well into the 1970's.

Assembly manuals call for door panel clips with foam on the bottom of the door panel. Why? Are the the foam clips necessary? I ordered some door panels and they came with clips but they are all foamless. How bad would it be to use non foam clips?
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 12:33:34 AM »
Assembly manuals call for door panel clips with foam on the bottom of the door panel. Why?
To reduce vibration and the associated noise.
The effective date in the 65 Mustang Interior Assembly Manual (AM0007 pg19) dated 3/23/65 "seems to imply" the foam clip was added about the time the deluxe (pony interior) body was introduced. The change description is not really worded well.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 11:35:55 AM »
The foam pads on the clips were used from the beginning of production based on cars I have worked on/disassembled.

The deluxe interior clips are different length, which may be the difference seen in the assembly manual.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin