Author Topic: Windshield washer nozzle finish  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Bluepony

Windshield washer nozzle finish
« on: May 20, 2021, 05:24:32 PM »
I?m trying to clean up the windshield washer nozzles in my 68 convertible. The as-is finish appears to be a zinc coating and scraping a bit off the bottom side revealed copper. Is this correct for 1968? I have owned the car for over 40 years and have never touched them. If so, what is the best way to clean them up?
Craig Stambaugh
'68 Convertible J-Code Brittany Blue
'64 1/2 Coupe F-Code Silversmoke Gray

Offline RoyceP

Re: Windshield washer nozzle finish
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 09:24:52 PM »
C7ZZ-17603-A they were originally a silver finish I think cadmium plate. Not sure why you are seeing a copper color unless perhaps it is a reaction with the rubber hose?
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 09:42:49 PM »
If you have gone or they have worn through the plating you may be seeing the brass from the attachment of the tube to the mounting arm.

You can have them replated if you want to reuse the originals. Sure there will be other things on the car the same color originally, so you can do a small batch all at one time.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 10:29:53 PM »
I?m trying to clean up the windshield washer nozzles in my 68 convertible. The as-is finish appears to be a zinc coating and scraping a bit off the bottom side revealed copper. Is this correct for 1968? I have owned the car for over 40 years and have never touched them. If so, what is the best way to clean them up?
The two nozzle late 67 and all of 68 squirters were typically black chromate finish from the factory. The black chromate is applied over a silver zinc plating. The zinc plating is over the copper you saw. Black chromate has the same iridescent look as the common gold chromate  look but with the dark brown or black instead of gold.The black chromate wears off fairly easily when exposed to the elements revealing  the silver look underneath. I respectfully suggest that the change was so subtle that you didn't notice the eventual change to silver over the years.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 12:36:23 AM »
+1 on the black chromate.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 02:45:25 PM »
My 67 nozzles, when stripped, have a copper or brass nozzle with a metal bracket soldered to them.
Here is a stripped vs a cad plated 67. Neither of these were good enough to use on my car.

I suspect 68 nozzles may have the same metals underneath their finish. I will note that the outlet style (single vs twin) is different between the two years.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 04:45:26 PM by carlite65 »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 06:37:08 PM »
I think Bob is correct. This is the original pair of nozzles from a car I restored a few years ago, built in mid May 1968. You can see in the areas where the cheap red paint job didn't cover the color is gray which led me to believe that the original finish was silver (either cad or zinc) but if you look where the original washer hose was installed all these years the finish is quite black.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 01:27:35 AM »
My 67 nozzles, when stripped, have a copper or brass nozzle with a metal bracket soldered to them.
Here is a stripped vs a cad plated 67. Neither of these were good enough to use on my car.

I suspect 68 nozzles may have the same metals underneath their finish. I will note that the outlet style (single vs twin) is different between the two years.
For clarification the single vs twin is not different between 67 and 68. The transition to the double nozzle /squirter happen during later 67 production and carried on through 68 production.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bluepony

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2021, 10:53:43 AM »
Yes, under the hose, the metal has a dark brown finish. Would the base metal accept a phosphate and oil treatment? I prefer the dark, original-looking finish without paint. Thanks for the excellent background info.
Craig Stambaugh

Offline Bluepony

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2021, 11:06:35 AM »
I think I just answered my own question. A quick Internet search indicated that phosphate and oil is only compatible with ferrous base metal.  I may have to resort to paint.
Craig Stambaugh

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 01:42:09 PM »
I think I just answered my own question. A quick Internet search indicated that phosphate and oil is only compatible with ferrous base metal.  I may have to resort to paint.
Phosphate and oil is the wrong finish wrong look. Black chromate is the correct finish .If you are not familiar with that finish then think of the shiny iridescent look of  gold chromate (zinc gold,zink dichromate etc.)with little hints of green and reds but substitute the black or dark brown for the predominate gold and there you have it. That is the look that you are going for. The righ way is to plate them zinc silver first then dip them in the highly toxic chromate solution to impart the finish. The chromate needs zinc to stick to. It is kind of too little to mess with but I will do a pair of all ready cleaned and blasted late 67 or 68 double nozzle windshield washer squirters sent to me for 30.00 priority mail delivered back if a forum member needs them done. PM me if help is needed.