Author Topic: May 65 NJ - Red Oxide Primer?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
May 65 NJ - Red Oxide Primer?
« on: May 07, 2021, 06:20:57 PM »
Hello,
after a long way I got an Epoxy RED OXIDE Primer...what do you think of the tone? too shinny because not dry, I'm expecting to loose that shining after 10 or 15minutes.
Is it close to the rear tone or to dash to front tone?
Thanks for each comment of yours
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: May 65 NJ - Red Oxide Primer?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 08:30:13 PM »
Hello,
after a long way I got an Epoxy RED OXIDE Primer...what do you think of the tone? too shinny because not dry, I'm expecting to loose that shining after 10 or 15minutes.
Is it close to the rear tone or to dash to front tone?
Thanks for each comment of yours

First consideration would be that red oxide primer used on individual body panels (when they were primed, was not the same product as the epoxy red oxide primer sealer. Os its kind of like comparing apples to oranges

But I think your asking for comparison to what could or might be used on the undercarriage so we'll go from there. Given that is likely looks different in person on my monitor it does not appear close to what I've seen in person. It might help if we knew when approximately the car your working on was built. at least at that point I can post original examples through those pictures will have different lighting and camera settings than yours.

Will wait for your response

Might help for future discussions if you add you car's information in the signature so you don't have to post each time. If your working on multiple cars then  always include the cars info
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 05:18:57 PM »
Thanks for your Reply Jeff,
I looked to update my car details but not found...is May65 V8 FB GT Metuchen wimbledon white with black interior. I have an idea of reading that all parts got red oxide primer or am I wrong? then 2 different tones 1 from dash to the rear and other to the front(little more dark). Your coments are always welcome as they are always fundamented and sharing information and deep knowledge that for sure most of us don't have.
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 05:20:43 PM »
add the car details under your profile tab.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 06:35:21 PM »
Split this off of the 65 San Jose thread it was originally posted in so that we can focus on NJ practices

Thanks for your Reply Jeff,
I looked to update my car details but not found...is May65 V8 FB GT Metuchen wimbledon white with black interior. I have an idea of reading that all parts got red oxide primer or am I wrong?

No not all of the body panels received red oxide primer of one form or another prior to the building of the body

then 2 different tones 1 from dash to the rear and other to the front(little more dark). Your coments are always welcome as they are always fundamented and sharing information and deep knowledge that for sure most of us don't have.

One of the challenges with NJ cars is that more often than not they are in poorer condition than cars from the other two plants

Here are two examples I can share. Again colors and tints are possibly different on your screen than in person. On the floor section the light sheen can be seen on the surfaces not roughed up  from cleaning or sanding. Car is/was a possible April 65 NJ built Mustang

Jeff Speegle

Offline kb65

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 02:35:32 AM »
this is a picture of my feb  65 new jersey  fb  taken in 2001 a code caspian blue
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 02:38:35 AM by kb65 »
ken

Offline sgl66

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 10:58:13 AM »
2 different tones 1 from dash to the rear and other to the front(little more dark). Your coments are always welcome as they are always fundamented and sharing information and deep knowledge that for sure most of us don't have.
A few years ago I did a comparison between original epoxy sealer on the frame up by the motor mounts and on the rear floor and the color is the same. I think the idea of 2 different colors is caused by how the paint lands on horizontal/vertical/other surfaces.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 11:20:11 AM »
A few years ago I did a comparison between original epoxy sealer on the frame up by the motor mounts and on the rear floor and the color is the same. I think the idea of 2 different colors is caused by how the paint lands on horizontal/vertical/other surfaces.

The automated spray jets started at a line vertical with the firewall, which is why we sometimes see a different tone of red-oxide under the front frame rails.  There typically are not the same type of drips under the front frame rails either.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 01:33:46 PM »
Also you have to consider different batch's of paint that may have varied in shade placed in the spray machines that sprayed firewall forward (human) and that of the one that sprayed firewall rearward (automated).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 08:38:04 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 05:41:27 PM »
Its very likely that like other plans the firewall forward was applied by hand rather than premounted jets below the moving body. This takes into consideration how the front area red oxide rolls around and up the panels just above the frame rails. IF they used premounted jets on the firewall forward the additional spray would be uncontroled and rain down on to what would be the exterior of the body creating more work. This is one reason the jets on the floor section stop short typically at the rear of the car to capture the spray onto the car being sprayed not the one following or other surfaces at the station

The two colors did not always vary allot but in some cases they did at San Jose and of course since later years and Dearborn for most years used two different "colors" those show the difference more than the plants and years that used red oxide versions on front and rear.

We just don't get to see as many nice NJ cars due to the heavy rust and undercoating on most

kb65 thanks for sharing another example
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 08:36:47 PM »
Its very likely that like other plans the firewall forward was applied by hand rather than premounted jets below the moving body. This takes into consideration how the front area red oxide rolls around and up the panels just above the frame rails. IF they used premounted jets on the firewall forward the additional spray would be uncontroled and rain down on to what would be the exterior of the body creating more work. This is one reason the jets on the floor section stop short typically at the rear of the car to capture the spray onto the car being sprayed not the one following or other surfaces at the station

The two colors did not always vary allot but in some cases they did at San Jose and of course since later years and Dearborn for most years used two different "colors" those show the difference more than the plants and years that used red oxide versions on front and rear.

We just don't get to see as many nice NJ cars due to the heavy rust and undercoating on most

kb65 thanks for sharing another example
I think it would be reasonable to assume that if a "human" spray gun applied red oxide paint application reservoir would not  be the same one used by the automated spray system used for the floor pans. In those two different used batch's of paint is a possible explanation for different shade variations when seen.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline kb65

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 10:44:25 PM »
please note the light blue overspray on the rear frame rails this is a caspian blue car

DSO richmond

ken
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 10:46:27 PM by kb65 »
ken