Author Topic: 1970 NJ Tire Pressure Decal for October 7, 69 build  (Read 1191 times)

Offline alanmac

1970 NJ Tire Pressure Decal for October 7, 69 build
« on: April 24, 2021, 06:56:14 PM »
I want to verify if my tire pressure decal is correct.  Dead Nuts On lists three different versions.  Early, Mid Year and Late.  DNO does not know the date fore the change from early to the mid year version.  Does anyone have pictures of this (Jeff?) for Metuchen around my build date?  Any help is appreciated.   Alan     
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
1 of 186 with these paint/trim codes
Build Date: October 7, 1969
0T1190xx
Dealer: Maguires Garage Inc. Duncannon PA

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 NJ Tire Pressure Decal for October 7, 69 build
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 05:58:39 PM »
Got lucky again

From 0T1212xx.
Real build date of 10/27/69
D0ZA-F version

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline alanmac

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 07:58:36 PM »
Jeff, Thanks again. The build date of this yellow car is 20 days after mine, so my car could technically have had DOZA-E version.  DNO thinks the change over from E to F was maybe Sept 69.  I wonder if this yellow car was repainted since the weather strip glue isn't yellow and the window adjuster plate isn't zinc with clear chromate?  Please correct me if I am wrong with this statement. I am wondering if it is the original decal?  Your input is greatly appreciated!  Alan 
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 01:04:40 AM »
Jeff, Thanks again. The build date of this yellow car is 20 days after mine, so my car could technically have had DOZA-E version. ............

Not sure what "technically" means in this context unless your referring to DNO resource is set in stone. Doesn't sound do from your description nor does it appear he listed the VIN or real build date of the last -E he has records of or the same for the first -F

The decal in the picture above is different (designed/printed differently) than the reproduction available for decades from Osborn reproductions if you look closely at the details and alignment of letters. Just a couple (I see a number more) some of the non-matching details in that reproduction. The MUSTANG at the top is another easy one

Just offering and comparing evidence and findings

I wonder if this yellow car was repainted since the weather strip glue isn't yellow and the window adjuster plate isn't zinc with clear chromate?  Please correct me if I am wrong with this statement. I am wondering if it is the original decal?  Your input is greatly appreciated!  Alan

Good eye on the weatherstrip adhesive. Looking at the rest of the car I see it was in Unrestored class at a MCA national show, has all the factory (or what appear) paint inspector markings and there are some other paint details that are not typically found or known by the general public that was visible on the car.  Though these cars can always has a touch up or two paint areas.  Don't know how long the -F version of the decal has been available if it were a reproduction or why someone, when the pictures were taken, would have chosen that particular one, if available, rather than another. 

As fro the adjustment plate I see rust around the edge on the one in the picture suggesting that it does have some age on it. As for painted verses plated and looking at other examples I have I'm finding painted for this production period before they appear to have moved to the plated versions. Want to discuss that and see some examples start another thread and we will do that. Saved a group of them for my filing and later use so I won't have to go through all the 70 NJ plant pictures again for that.
Jeff Speegle

Offline alanmac

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 12:37:07 PM »
Good points! DNO doesn't know the cutoff date they are just guessing.  I can see the difference between the two decals.  Also the yellow car decal leading edge looks like it is damaged, possibly from many years of wear.  I now think the decal on the yellow car is original.  Thanks for the excellent feedback. Alan 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 12:47:04 PM by alanmac »
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 04:59:20 PM »
Good points! DNO doesn't know the cutoff date they are just guessing. ................

Lets just say they have likely made their best possible guess based on what they have collected. Just like we sometimes do also. How good a guesses is always how good the data is that its based on and then choices. Having real build dates for the later cars helps allot with narrowing down and applying what we find.

All of this is why I try, in the surveys I post here, what the last or earliest car (VIN and real completion date) I have records of is so that the reader can make up their mind or build from that point
Jeff Speegle

Offline alanmac

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 10:47:19 AM »
Jeff, This site and information from you and others is helping make my car much better. The historical information is priceless from my viewpoint.  Have a great day. 
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline alanmac

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 01:37:56 PM »
This is the mid year tire pressure decal from DNO.  I think it is very close to the original decals letter font and size.  Looks to be a big improvement compared to the reproduction decal posted above. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 01:50:52 PM by alanmac »
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 06:07:10 PM »
This is the mid year tire pressure decal from DNO.  I think it is very close to the original decals letter font and size.  Looks to be a big improvement compared to the reproduction decal posted above.

May be ECS version but it is an improvement/much better
Jeff Speegle

Offline alanmac

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 01:34:55 PM »
Good to know for anyone that wants to replace one that isn't a good reproduction. 
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx