Author Topic: Suspension Daubs/Markings: 428 4-spd w/AC, PS, PB, Dearborn  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Angela

Suspension Daubs/Markings: 428 4-spd w/AC, PS, PB, Dearborn
« on: April 11, 2021, 09:00:13 AM »
Can anyone clarify any of the following concerning a 1970 Mach1, 428 4-spd w/AC, PS, PB, built October 8th, 1969 at Dearborn?

I'm struggling to find consistent documentation re the following questions. Below is what I've found searching this and the CJ forum. However, this doesn't mean the following is correct... I'm asking for clarification.

I do not have a build sheet for this car.

Questions:
(1) Front coil spring stripes should be one PINK, one GOLD?  (I think I see one pink, one gold, and one grey on my original springs, but from what I've read there should only be two stripes)

(2) Front shocks should have had a small WHITE stripe/daub just above the lower mounting bracket?

(3) Upper control arm have either a yellow or pink daub at the ball joint surface? (similar to that applied to the '68s? http://www.thecoralsnake.com/SUSPENSION.HTML).  In this case, the "daub" is actually sprayed on?

(4) Lower control arm has no paint markings/daubs before or after assembly. Is that correct?

(5) Rear leaf springs would have had two yellow and two brown stripes (same marking, with or w/o AC)?

Thank you!

Offline cobrajet_carl

Re: Suspension Daubs/Markings: 428 4-spd w/AC, PS, PB, Dearborn
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 11:57:30 AM »
Not factory A/C I assume? Three of the six original R code 4sp A/C cars have sold in the past 10 years or so. I think one of them had a build sheet.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 11:07:23 AM by cobrajet_carl »
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 11:17:30 AM »
I should have been more clear in my post, sorry. I am trying to understand the correct Suspension Daubs/Markings for both with and without AC for a 1970 428 4-spd  built at  Dearborn October 8th 1969.
I do not have a build sheet. :-(

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 06:21:12 PM »
I should have been more clear in my post, sorry. I am trying to understand the correct Suspension Daubs/Markings for both with and without AC for a 1970 428 4-spd  built at  Dearborn October 8th 1969.
I do not have a build sheet. :-(

PS or without?

What Body style and model?

If not a Mach I what suspension?

Just wondering if there is a reason for comparing with and without AC applications?   In most application I thing the only difference would be the front and rear springs.

Lacking a buildsheets guess the next option would be for you or someone else provide the engineering numbers from the rear leaf springs of a AC 4 speed 70 application (body type and model) your researching
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 12:03:23 AM »
The front and rear springs are the difficult ones of your list

(2) Front shocks should have had a small WHITE stripe/daub just above the lower mounting bracket?

Yes front shocks. Here is an example of one that has been posted a few time here

(3) Upper control arm have either a yellow or pink daub at the ball joint surface?

(4) Lower control arm has no paint markings/daubs before or after assembly. Is that correct?

Upper and lower ball joints, like in prior years would typically have the end of the stud that goes into the spindle painted yellow before they were installed so that most of the paint on the threaded area would be knocked off from the installation of the nut and cotter key

Believe all lower A arms are the same in 70. Have been finding a robin blue mark on the outer edge of the lower a arm -sheet metal portion.

Applied with brush like much like almost all the other marks
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 12:08:23 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 01:10:11 PM »
Here's a build sheet excerpt for a Dearborn R code mach P/S, PDB, 4sp no A/C. Scheduled build date January 15th. Not sure what OC means for the center driveshaft stripe.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline Angela

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 04:04:38 PM »
Thanks Carl!

Jeff, thank you as well. "PS or without? What Body style and model? If not a Mach I what suspension?"
I thought I put those answers in my post but here they are again: with PS,  fastback/sportsroof Mach1

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 05:04:18 PM »
.............I thought I put those answers in my post but here they are again: with PS,  fastback/sportsroof Mach1

Yes you did - in fact in your first post and sentence. Sorry and thanks for bearing with me

Don't have any 70 428 CJ AC examples that are a match or even close.   All of the non-AC examples have the same color coding on their buildsheets as Carl's particle picture shows but that's not confirmation for your car unfortunately.

As mentioned the next opinion would be to see if the markings on the springs are the same between an AC and non-AC application and if they do match that would confirm at least the rear markings. Also so that you can widen the search the same rear springs (as used on the non-AC cars) were also installed on the M and H code Mach I's.

Some might assume that since these rear springs were used (as of so far in the investigation) on all of the Mach I's in the study so far they likely are the same as what came on your car. Same thing could be assumed about all front coil springs used that year on CJ cars but confirming that two sets of springs are the same and in turn the markings are the same is more difficult since they don't have markings in the metal. That's why the buildsheet would be so important in confirming things. Surprised that neither here or on the CJ site no one had an example to show yet

For me I'm just looking to confirm so that we can be sure rather than going for a best guess. Of course the final choice will come down to yo. I'm just being careful and thorough before I recommend or suggest something for someone car :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:07:20 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Angela

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 08:28:06 AM »
I'm circling back to this thread because after extensively using the search feature (in this site) and viewing pictures in here as well as coralsnake, deadnutson, Anghel's sites (to name just a few), I remain confused about a few items:

(1) Were the disc brake spindles in 1970 marked with any form of paint, daub etc marking? I've seen pictures of white stripes, yellow daubs and green tape (tape, not paint).

(2) Were most (if not all) lower control arms brushed with blue paint at the ball joint area?

(3) Are the upper control arms supposed to have yellow daubs on both the rotating shaft and at the ball joint (not the stud, rather the stamped metal surface of the control arm)?

Thanks!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 08:17:30 PM »
I'm circling back to this thread because after extensively using the search feature (in this site) and viewing pictures in here as well as coralsnake, deadnutson, Anghel's sites (to name just a few), I remain confused about a few items:

(1) Were the disc brake spindles in 1970 marked with any form of paint, daub etc marking? I've seen pictures of white stripes, yellow daubs and green tape (tape, not paint).

Yes could be more than a half dozen different markings used to identify, orientate and for other reasons. In 70 we see the first tape applications in this case the green upper spindle arm application. Other paint markings or pencil/crayon would be found near the top attachment arm (higher than the tape) at the bottom ball joint attachment knuckle, on the steering arm (one or two colors, and at the hardness test site as well as possibly a few others. Looking at buildsheets it appears that there were at least a couple of changes in the markings during the production year

(2) Were most (if not all) lower control arms brushed with blue paint at the ball joint area?

For this year and application I've not see any examples but I do have the outer edge (facing the back side of the rim, end of the lower a arm with the that outer facing surface with a brushed medium blue (appears slightly lighter than engine blue) paint applied along that edge for 4 -5 inches in total length On Boss 302 which should share the same part as your application

(3) Are the upper control arms supposed to have yellow daubs on both the rotating shaft and at the ball joint (not the stud, rather the stamped metal surface of the control arm)?

Yes have seen the attaching rod/shaft marked with the yellow. Like from the provider like the ball joint. Though the years you can see the service replacements with different colors and markings on individual parts and these can sometimes we taken as original and incorporated into some restorations

Have seen the locating yellow on the ball joint shaft before the nut was installed but not on the a arm itself. Have seen some markings on service replacements but haven't found the same on originals. Others may have documented something differ than I

Hope this helps

« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 08:37:13 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle