Author Topic: 70 Door hinge paint Dearborn  (Read 841 times)

Online JohnB

• 0F03R120303
70 Door hinge paint Dearborn
« on: April 08, 2021, 04:50:33 PM »
Was the door hinge painted as an assembly on the car or was it seperated with one part on the body and one part on the door?

If it was painted as an assembly, the bushings and pin would also be painted....I think?

If it was painted as an assembly, what about the bolt attaching it to the door? Painted seperatly?

Tried the unrestored section, but its hard to find a pic showing this detail.

Thanks
John
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 04:52:52 PM by JohnB »

Offline jwc66k

Re: 70 Door hinge paint Dearborn
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 04:56:35 PM »
The "1970 Mustang Weld & Sealant Assembly Manual" shows the doors (and trunk lid) assembled to the car prior to painting. That answers your question.
I suggest you get a set of these manuals.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Online JohnB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 05:10:45 PM »
The "1970 Mustang Weld & Sealant Assembly Manual" shows the doors (and trunk lid) assembled to the car prior to painting. That answers your question.
I suggest you get a set of these manuals.
Jim

Aaah. Already have those. In fact, laying 30 inches from my chair! Sometimes the answer is real close. Thanks.

John

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 07:31:48 PM »
As mentioned in the 70 Dearborn Undercarriage (yes I know the title but included some additional details also) Detailing article the doors, trunk and caps loosely and the rear valance were attached prior to body color. Rear valance for your year and plant would have had all the upper edge screws installed and left hanging from there allowing paint to wrap around the ends then pulled into the body after paint. End caps at times were spaced out far enough from quarter panels that a fair amount of paint got behind and under during the paint process

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online JohnB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 08:48:19 PM »
Jeff

Thanks a lot. Body is going to paint soon.

John