Author Topic: Upper Stone Guard Bolt Self-Retaining  (Read 1102 times)

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
Upper Stone Guard Bolt Self-Retaining
« on: March 25, 2021, 07:27:59 AM »
Hello,
could you kindly inform on 65 FB does Upper Stone Guard Bolt Self-Retaining  was welded, where and with how many points?
Thanks in advance
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Upper Stone Guard Bolt Self-Retaining
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 03:33:07 PM »
It was not welded to the radiator support. Since you don't have an early car the mount has a sheet metal "cage" around it that holds the mount to the radiator support originally

Will look to see if I have a picture
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 04:01:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 04:06:48 PM »
They are often removed when the owners/builders remove the front steel metal so the only examples I was able to find on my search were from 66 examples but it should give you an idea

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 04:35:36 PM »
"It" has a name - 379749-S2 - (Screw and Retainer Assy) available at AMK under AMK stock number - B-11564, $5.00 each.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 05:15:39 PM »
The nut fastener used with this is the same that attaches to the seat track studs that go through the floor.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 05:59:53 PM »
Thank you all for the support
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 10:56:49 PM »
"It" has a name - 379749-S2 - (Screw and Retainer Assy) available at AMK under AMK stock number - B-11564, $5.00 each.
Jim
Ahhh...I remember an old TV series, The Prisoner: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 12:17:57 AM »
Ahhh...I remember an old TV series, The Prisoner: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Patrick McGoohan as "Number Six". A strange, excellent series of only 17 episode. (I have it in BluRay).
The nut fastener used with this is the same that attaches to the seat track studs that go through the floor.
Another hardware part with a name, 378643-S2 (Nut and washer assembly)
But the left hand side uses a nut clip, 379831-S2 and a fender bolt, 378156-S2 to attach the stone deflector.
Pop quiz: Why does the right side use a "Screw and retainer" on the radiator support, and the left side uses a "Nut and Retainer"?
Charles and Jeff are excluded from the quiz.
Jim
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 07:18:58 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 05:49:36 PM »

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 01:54:18 PM »

The correct nuts used for seat tracks are shown, but I'm at a loss as to what the pictures show is their application. It does not appear to be for the 64-66 stone deflector attachment.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 03:01:30 PM »
The correct nuts used for seat tracks are shown, but I'm at a loss as to what the pictures show is their application. It does not appear to be for the 64-66 stone deflector attachment.
Jim

Same location as shown in reply #2 In these examples the owners simply placed the nuts back on the stud after they removed the sheet metal - guessing they didn't want to loose the nut at the time

Notice the notch in the lower left of the sheet metal in two of the pictures that match the same feature in the passenger side radiator support. Sorry zoomed in allot to show the detail of the nut
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 06:51:09 PM »
OK, now it registers. The "seat track" type nut (378643-S2) was put back on the stud which protruded outside the engine compartment.
For reference, here's a picture of the left hand side from the engine compartment (San Jose, 65 GT Fastback, 11 May scheduled) of the nut clip (379831-S2) and the tip of the fender bolt (378156-S2). The tubing and hose to the left is part of the power steering. The stuff to the left is the voltage regulator.
(It is sometimes difficult to take a picture inside an engine compartment with an engine and a few accessories in the way while leaning over the front of the car sort of up side down.)
Jim