Author Topic: Mounting location for passenger side courtesy light?  (Read 2154 times)

Offline palacekeeper

Mounting location for passenger side courtesy light?
« on: February 28, 2021, 03:45:53 PM »
Unless I have been misinformed I recently learned that my 1970 Mach 1 would have had courtesy lights under the dash on both sides, but mine only has one on the drivers side.

If that is indeed the case, does anyone have any pictures or something showing where exactly to attach the light on the passenger side?
1970 Mustang Mach 1, Grabber Blue
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen
Build Date: December 19, 1969
Dealer: 21A461 Whaley-Dailey Ford Sales, Conyers, GA

Online jwc66k

Re: Mounting location for passenger side courtesy light?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 04:35:24 PM »
Unless I have been misinformed I recently learned that my 1970 Mach 1 would have had courtesy lights under the dash on both sides, but mine only has one on the drivers side.

If that is indeed the case, does anyone have any pictures or something showing where exactly to attach the light on the passenger side?
I'll bet the 1970 Mustang Electrical Assembly manual shows the light, it's part number and how to install it. Yup there it is.
You should get a set of 1970 Mustang Assembly Manuals, or go to this Forum's Library and look up the service information in "Ford Car Parts" (aka MPC).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline alanmac

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 05:42:20 PM »
This is the location for the right side light under the glovebox on my non AC Mach1
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:59:50 AM by alanmac »
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
1 of 186 with these paint/trim codes
Build Date: October 7, 1969
0T1190xx
Dealer: Maguires Garage Inc. Duncannon PA

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 10:27:02 PM »
I'll bet the 1970 Mustang Electrical Assembly manual shows the light, it's part number and how to install it. Yup there it is.
You should get a set of 1970 Mustang Assembly Manuals, or go to this Forum's Library and look up the service information in "Ford Car Parts" (aka MPC).
Jim

Consider me ?schooled? 😎
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 10:27:45 PM »
I can attach a picture later today.

Thanks, I appreciate the pic!!
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 11:22:58 PM »
On some of the other years the location and design of the underdash light differs between AC and non-AC cars. Might want to double check that angle/possibility. Don't have time at the moment to check my pictures and don't know if I'm looking for AC or non-AC

Might consider adding to your signature your cars information. Save time and questions in the long run ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 12:07:08 AM »
Consider me ?schooled? 😎
- go to this Forum's Library and look up the service information in "Ford Car Parts" (aka MPC).
The information is available in the MPC.
After you've found "it", you can educate others.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 10:19:09 AM »
On some of the other years the location and design of the underdash light differs between AC and non-AC cars. Might want to double check that angle/possibility. Don't have time at the moment to check my pictures and don't know if I'm looking for AC or non-AC

Might consider adding to your signature your cars information. Save time and questions in the long run ;)

This is non a/c. I?ll update my signature, thx.
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 01:31:28 PM »
The information is available in the MPC.
After you've found "it", you can educate others.
Jim

I looked in the MPC but didn't see what I was looking for. I found part numbers and exploded diagrams, but nothing that specifically showed where it mounts under the dash. I'm not saying it's not there, but if it is I haven't found it so far. I appreciate the free resources and help from folks on this forum, regardless.

The picture that alanmac posted was super helpful and way easier than a drawing imho - exactly what I was looking for, and in the past folks have posted pictures that have been similarly very helpful.

I updated my profile signature for future expedition. I'm getting there ;-)
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Online jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 04:25:43 PM »
I looked in the MPC but didn't see what I was looking for. I found part numbers and exploded diagrams, but nothing that specifically showed where it mounts under the dash.
Ref Ford Car Parts (aka MPC) 75 ed, sec 140.1 page 5. It shows the location, the mounting, the wiring, but not the same, identical lamp and bracket.
The picture that alanmac posted was super helpful and way easier than a drawing imho - exactly what I was looking for, and in the past folks have posted pictures that have been similarly very helpful.
The picture shows location, which is what you initally asked. The picture does not show wiring, screw type and finish (a part number covers that) and that information is contained in the 70 Electrical Assembly Manual.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 05:09:18 PM »
This is non a/c. I?ll update my signature, thx.

Then you should be good with the earlier picture but going to add another since I've posted it before and its handy

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 06:20:11 PM »
Ref Ford Car Parts (aka MPC) 75 ed, sec 140.1 page 5. It shows the location, the mounting, the wiring, but not the same, identical lamp and bracket. The picture shows location, which is what you initally asked. The picture does not show wiring, screw type and finish (a part number covers that) and that information is contained in the 70 Electrical Assembly Manual.
Jim

This seems odd. Thanks for pointing me to the right page, btw. Even in Adobe Acrobat, the search feature seems to be inconsistent, maybe because the pdf is an OCR or scanned image? In any case, on the page you referenced the lamp house and bulb do look totally different.

I was working under the assumption that the correct part was D0ZB-13707-C because I found references to that part number on other sites. I had located a NOS part which I purchased also but the part number on it is D0ZB-13K705-C. The Ford box it came in has the part number D0ZZ-13777-A stamped on it. Could that be the part number for the lamp assembly and bulb together, maybe, and the assembly and bulb each have their own separate part numbers?

The odd thing is that, regardless, the one in my car on the driver side which I believe to be original, and the one I want to install on the passenger side both look identical and look like the pictures that alanmac and Jeff sent in this thread. They look nothing like the ones in the diagram on page 5. Any ideas?
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Online jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 08:04:52 PM »
We commonly referred to the myriad of identification procedures as "creative part number engineering". Ford engineering departments had a lot of leeway in assigning part numbers, and they took full advantage of that. They were under corporate pressure to produce a product - a car. That's why the RH lamp is D0ZB-13707-C, the LH is D0ZB-13K705-C and the service stock number is C9ZZ-13763-A for both, or is it. It was in the service department phase that a lot (it is two words) of the numbering problems came to light and were straightened out. A Ford "replacement" part had to work, not be Concourse correct.
In some situations, the housing, the lens, the bulb and the bracket were serviced (and sold) separately. In others, one number contained all those items. Consider it a (frustrating) treasure hunt.
Jim

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 08:52:29 PM »
We commonly referred to the myriad of identification procedures as "creative part number engineering". Ford engineering departments had a lot of leeway in assigning part numbers, and they took full advantage of that. They were under corporate pressure to produce a product - a car. That's why the RH lamp is D0ZB-13707-C, the LH is D0ZB-13K705-C and the service stock number is C9ZZ-13763-A for both, or is it. It was in the service department phase that a lot (it is two words) of the numbering problems came to light and were straightened out. A Ford "replacement" part had to work, not be Concourse correct.
In some situations, the housing, the lens, the bulb and the bracket were serviced (and sold) separately. In others, one number contained all those items. Consider it a (frustrating) treasure hunt.
Jim

Ok, so it sounds like I have the correct part number, but for the driver's side (the NOS part I bought). Is there any visible difference between the two, or are they basically the same thing with 2 different part numbers? I ask because in the diagram on page 5 it shows the exact same part on both sides - even though the picture is totally different than the photos discussed earlier. Thx.
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 09:32:53 PM »
I am no expert but the light in the picture looks to be a 69 unit and it highlights the difficulty in solely working from manuals . The RH side is similar to the drivers side but it is slightly different in that the mounting tab varies in a minor way. On the drivers side the tab is slightly bent (angled) but on the passenger side it is completely flat, like in Jeffs picture. Once you have the part, it becomes easy to pick the mounting hole under the dash as it is within reach of the wiring loom.
Brad