Author Topic: Mach 1 Front wiring harness retainer locations  (Read 2002 times)

Offline alanmac

Mach 1 Front wiring harness retainer locations
« on: February 22, 2021, 04:05:20 PM »
Attached is the AMK kits that I purchased.  In front of the radiator support on both sides there should be wire harness retainers.  What is the proper configuration and location for the wiring harness's retainers for (sport lamps, horns, side markers, turn signal and headlight).  There are three holes on both sides of the radiator support that I believe are the retainer mounting holes.  One near the top inboard of the sport lamps mounting brackets.  I think these holes should have the small circular retainers for the L horn harness and the R horn harness and ground wire. Is this correct? For the sport lamp kit, there are two types of retainers, (2) straps and (2) larger circular. I think the strap should be fixed in the lower inboard holes located below the sport lamp brackets.  Is this correct? Also all wire harness's mentioned should be retained in the strap.  Is this correct?  That leaves one hole on each side outboard of the sport lamp bracket.  I think these holes should have the larger circular retainers for the sport lamp wire harness. Is this correct? Any help is appreciated.  Alan   
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
1 of 186 with these paint/trim codes
Build Date: October 7, 1969
0T1190xx
Dealer: Maguires Garage Inc. Duncannon PA

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Mach 1 Front wiring harness retainer locations
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 05:50:50 PM »
Can't be of much help but maybe someone else with a similar car (70 NJ Mach I) can help out more. The Mach I lights really get in the way and block most attemtps to get clear or any pictures of the area below them. Then you have some with the oil coolers that change some of these details to add to the challenge

In an attempt to help out with what I do have

The up most hole above this all is for the horn wire on both sides on cars without the oil coolers. Upper left is from 0T151xxx a black retainer and the lower right from 0T136xxx a white/opaque version

In this picture, though not a Mach I, the main front loom after it leaves the front cross member retainers pass through one of the straps with the large flat ends

And one more though I'm not sure if it helps much

Sorry not enough other people have taken pictures of these details and shared them over the decades. You may want to look in the assembly manual to see if this detail is covered, compare when the page was published and compare that to when your car was built and use it as part of your decision making. Good thing it this is an easy detail to change if you get it off slightly

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline alanmac

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 06:28:53 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  It would be great if someone had a picture of a Mach 1.  For sure the upper horn retainer is correct with the top inboard hole.  I think the lower inboard hole has the strap like the attached Boss 429 photo.  Which would leave the outboard hole to have the big circular retainer for the sport lamp.  Just guessing at this point.  Like you said this is easy to change. 
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline alanmac

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 08:19:27 PM »
Attached photo is what I came up with.  I used the strap retainer with all subject wires thru.  The sport lamp connector is on the outboard side and the light connectors are on the inboard side.  Both sides are configured the same. On the left side, the top inboard hole was used for the horn wires with the small circular retainer.   One the right side, the top inboard hole was used for the horn and ground wire with a small circular retainer.  Also on the right side, the lower outboard hole was used for the horn wire with the small circular retainer. The right side horn wire is longer hence the additional small retainer.  The large circular retainers were not used, they don't fit into any hole and don't seem necessary.  I believe this is the physically cleanest configuration and it looks good and makes sense.  If I am wrong, please feel free to let me know.  Alan       
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 08:30:31 PM by alanmac »
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 03:19:48 PM »
Would not suggest to go with what looks the best or makes the most sense to us today ;) if your restoring the car. I would try to find more unrestored example and follow what was done on those and the drivers side like the one I posted. Assuming that you will find others the same from the same plant   But its your car

Didn't look at Boss's - same plant and year since I was focused on mainly the Mach's
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 03:22:25 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline alanmac

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 04:29:48 PM »
Jeff, Bad wording on my part.  I have no desire for my Mach1 to be a contours(concours) vehicle but I do want it to be as close as possible to original.  that was my intent for posting this.  Unfortunately I have not seen any photos of this for a Mach 1.  For the strap, my configuration matches the unrestored Boss 429 picture from this forum and the picture you provided. The exception is the sport lamp connector side being inboard or outboard of the strap. Regarding the horn wires, my configuration matches the unrestored pictures provided on the left side.  Regarding the horn wires on the right side, the upper retainer location matches the unrestored picture.  The lower outboard retainer is the exception that is unconfirmed.  Hopefully someone with a unrestored Mach 1 will confirm the unknown.  I hope this clears up what I need.  Alan     
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:48:52 PM by carlite65 »
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 05:19:36 PM »
I suggest you look at the 1970 Electrical Assembly Manual for help on this.  Someone will say that all plants didn't always follow the manual, but it is a good place to start.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline alanmac

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 06:43:56 PM »
I suggest you look at the 1970 Electrical Assembly Manual for help on this.  Someone will say that all plants didn't always follow the manual, but it is a good place to start.

I don't have this manual, does it include the retainers and fasteners?  I just ordered it! Thanks for the suggestion.   
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 06:58:29 PM by alanmac »
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 06:44:41 PM »
Jeff, Bad wording on my part.  I have no desire for my Mach1 to be a contours(concours) vehicle but I do want it to be as close as possible to original.  that was my intent for posting this.

Suggest that concours and as close as possible to original are the same. Understand that many will choice how close based on many personal choices and situations.

Unfortunately I have not seen any photos of this for a Mach 1.  For the strap, my configuration matches the unrestored Boss 429 picture from this forum and the picture you provided.............

Unfortunately that is from a different plant. One reason I didn't look through nor include any Dearborn or San Jose Mach I pictures of details

To try and help with at least the retainer part of the question I offer the following with the base VINs

From 0T128xxx

From (repeat from above) 0T138xxx

From 0T139xxx

Jeff Speegle

Offline alanmac

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 07:16:57 PM »
Jeff, from the above left side pictures  0T128xxx and 0T139xxx the horn wire harness doesn't go thru the strap.  Good to know, I'll correct that until further knowledge says otherwise.   The right side is too blurry.   
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:21:10 PM by alanmac »
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 09:07:37 PM »
I don't have this manual, does it include the retainers and fasteners?  I just ordered it! Thanks for the suggestion.
Yes, I think it will ID the clips by p/n and illustrate the locations.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 09:15:05 PM »
Jeff, from the above left side pictures  0T128xxx and 0T139xxx the horn wire harness doesn't go thru the strap.  Good to know, I'll correct that until further knowledge says otherwise.   The right side is too blurry.   

Sorry just trying to help. As mentioned not many owners taking and sharing pictures of the area for this year and plant
Jeff Speegle

Offline alanmac

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 01:40:56 PM »
All is good, Hopefully the electrical assembly manual will have the missing information.  It would be great to close this out with a clear configuration for future reference. 
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline alanmac

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 12:47:13 PM »
I received the 70 Mustang Electrical Manual.  Wow, I can't believe I didn't own this manual before.  It is awesome.  My assumed configuration is very incorrect.  I will post pictures and document the details later in the week.   
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 01:44:37 PM »
I suggest you go to this forum's Library section and locate topic "Mustang Hardware Spreadsheets 69-70". You will find two files, one by application (-AP06, 06 = revision 6) and one by part number (-PN06). Both are keyed to the Osbourn Assembly Manuals with additional information from Ford Car Parts (aka MPC) and a lot (yes, it is two words) of other sources.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.