Author Topic: ground / negative cable  (Read 665 times)

Offline Big Al

ground / negative cable
« on: February 18, 2021, 08:57:40 PM »
I've been advised that my Dearborn, Aug '69 built Mach w/ 351W came with a negative cable that grounded the block and did not have the firewall to engine block ground.   But when I dug out the negative cable that was removed from the car during disassembly, it did not have the engine block ground strap.  So just for further discussion and confirmation, I'm submitting this topic, with additional information / pics for further clarification.
The cable is 41 inches long and has "DOOF-1AA31-A  SX      AUTO LITE" printed on it.  The mounting strap on the cable is rubber encased and not crimped to bare wire.
Do you still feel the cable should have an engine ground strap to the block and no firewall to block ground?

Thanks for you time
Al
1973 Mustang Conv and 1970 Mach I

Offline specialed

Re: ground / negative cable
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 10:24:50 PM »
Thats the starter cable and its correct engineering ID # is different than negitive cable that grounds the block by v-reg  and attaches to neg battery post. The starter cable metal j strap attaches by motor mounts to hold it away from exhaust manifold heat.

Offline Big Al

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 11:20:20 AM »
Now I see says the Blind Man - I understand which cable you referred to earlier. 
Thanks Again, Al
1973 Mustang Conv and 1970 Mach I

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 08:19:00 PM »
Added a picture to the 70 Dearborn CJ Convertible - Unrestored Picture Thread that showsthe negative cable mid way grounding strap attached to the voltage regulator screw as Ed describes
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 11:20:12 AM »
This new 70 negitive cable design was a big improvement as much easier to install than working in the blind on a big block rear trying to install the short ground cable on back of head and firewall and it saved ford $ not having to make another part.  The 70 and up thicker negitive cables held up much better than the previous years thin cables that cracked apart from heat and flopping around without any support holding them. The 70 neg cable grounding tab by v-reg supported the cable in place and routed it away from battery and not flopping around a much better design and they held up much better than previous years negitive cables.