Author Topic: Body clearance dimensions (door, hood, fender adjustments)  (Read 622 times)

Offline 67gt390fb

Body clearance dimensions (door, hood, fender adjustments)
« on: February 15, 2021, 10:40:30 PM »
I am trying to help out my brother adjust the door fit on his 64 1/2 mustang coupe.   Does ford have body clearance dimensions for a 64 1/2 ?
I have a 66 shop manual and could not find them there or here on forum
alan
7R02S153xxx      12/15/66

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Body clearance dimensions (door, hood, fender adjustments)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 11:27:33 PM »
I was told by a body guy that a paint stir stick is an excellent choice for clearance of door bottoms to rocker panels, and door edges to fender and rear quarter. 

I'm not sure there are any formal dimensions out there, as production was pretty slap-stick/quick-make it fit and no worries about making clearances +/-. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 04:37:43 PM »
Have seen measuring tools (small nylon stick of sorts) the workers on the line used. Most could eyeball the fit quickly.

Measurements such as this would likely be in the engineering drawings for the quality inspectors when they first set up the years run or when they pulled a unit for a check

Not aware of any source for those drawings or measurements
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 05:11:28 PM »
1/8" or thereabouts...

With all original sheet metal, the cars fit together relatively well.  When folks restore these cars, it can be a mix of original to the car, original from another car, NOS (newer or older) or aftermarket.  Throw all this into the mix and it creates quite a challenge to get everything lined up. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 07:15:33 PM »
Keep in mind that the rear of the doors to the body adjustments were done at the hinges with the front fenders off (easier access). The bottom of the door was also adjusted at that time but the door striker had more influence on the dimensions of that lower edge. You can see this on some cars as there is a "groove" worn into the striker that the door latch has made. I would assume that convertibles have more "groves" than Hardtops (or Fastbacks).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gt390fb

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 04:00:06 AM »
I used craft sticks glued together, using calipers to get specified thickness,  as measuring tools for '69 i used to own,  will eyeball this one and make it "look right"
alan
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 10:43:43 PM by 67gt390fb »
7R02S153xxx      12/15/66