Author Topic: Differences in Distributors  (Read 1117 times)

Offline HDAshmore

Differences in Distributors
« on: February 14, 2021, 08:30:28 PM »
Team,

BLUF: Can I use an Autolite D0OF-U distributor in place of Auotlite D0OF-Z?  If so what needs to be changed?

First off I am asking out of complete ignorance on all things distributers so open book here on learning and understanding.  Please use Big Barney Crayon Style explanations as I will not be offended and would appreciate the "stick man" level of distributor basics.

I am still looking for a D0OF-Z Autolite distributor for my February 13, 1970 Dearborn built Mach 1.  351C 4V Auto with AC.  In my search for a close date code correct one I acquired an unbelievably pristine D0OF-U Autolite Distributor.  jwc66K (Jim's) library document states its for a 70 351C 2V with Automatic.

I researched the Library section and used Jim's contribution (thank you Sir), to compare the two distributors.  Lines 177 and 179 in the Excel "DISTRIBUTOR-YEAR01" document describes both.

There are a few differences in the descriptions when compared. 

1. Unsure what the "COU" in Column "F" means?
2. Column "L" states 70 ELEC for -U distributor and noting for -Z distributor
3. "Type" Column states DU ADV for -U distributor  and DU VAC for -Z distributor
4. "DIAPH" Column state 303 for -U distributor and 357 for -Z distributor
5. "DIAPH P/N" states C5AZ-12370-A for -U distributor and D2PZ-12370-M for -Z distributor

I assume I would need to change Diaphragms due to stated P/N difference.  All other differences I am clueless what they mean or how they relate.

Thank in advance for any knowledge shared.

Dan

Offline RoyceP

Re: Differences in Distributors
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 09:09:26 PM »
The manual transmission versions use a dual diaphragm / dual port vacuum advance / retard unit. The automatic equipped cars use a single port / single diaphragm vacuum advance.

Tim O'Connor can set up any distributor that fits your engine to be curved like stock. Or maybe let Tim curve the distributor so it works better with today's crappy pump gas - he does that too.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline BlackMcode1970mach1

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 12:30:32 AM »
Hi is tim   still doing work?? Ive not heard that he is. Mark

Online jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 12:37:25 AM »
1. Unsure what the "COU" in Column "F" means?
COUgar
2. Column "L" states 70 ELEC for -U distributor and noting for -Z distributor
The source was from the 1970 ELECtric Assembly Manual. Don't remember where the -Z came from.
3. "Type" Column states DU ADV for -U distributor  and DU VAC for -Z distributor
DUal ADVance and DUal VACuum, from Ford Car Parts (aka MPC) which is available in the library. 
4. "DIAPH" Column state 303 for -U distributor and 357 for -Z distributor
From Ford Car Parts (aka MPC) which is available in the library. 
5. "DIAPH P/N" states C5AZ-12370-A for -U distributor and D2PZ-12370-M for -Z distributor
From Ford Car Parts (aka MPC) which is available in the library. Most of your questions are covered in the "header" section of the spreadsheet.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 09:45:50 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I suck at asking the question right or I suck at understanding.  Or both?

I read the notes before i asked the questions.  So if I understand correctly all I need to do is change the Diaphragm and My D0OF-U distributer is the same as the D0OF-Z.  With the exception that my Distributer body has a U stamped in it rather than a Z after the 12127?  If it is not that simple I am looking for what is different and can I make my -U into a -Z by simply changing "what ever parts".

I also assumed the "F" column that had COU in it meant Cougar but does that mean Cougar only or also applies to Cougar and Mustang and whatever else etc...

I am really ignorant on motors and distributors as I stated so I am looking to understand and see if I can make this work or do I have to have a 12127-Z body and internals?

Thanks again,
Dan in Kansas

Online jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 12:36:37 AM »
if I understand correctly all I need to do is change the Diaphragm and My D0OF-U distributer is the same as the D0OF-Z. 
No. That's a start.
If it is not that simple I am looking for what is different and can I make my -U into a -Z by simply changing "what ever parts".
There are weights and springs that might need to be changed. Also the shaft. Go to the library and look up the breakdown for each. In many cases, a simple "swap" will work, maybe not well, but it will work. I send my to a shop specializing in distributor rebuilds.
I also assumed the "F" column that had COU in it meant Cougar but does that mean Cougar only or also applies to Cougar and Mustang and whatever else etc...
Also Cougar. As a service to Cougar owners that are members of the forum, I included the notation. They do use Ford Engines.
I am really ignorant on motors and distributors as I stated so I am looking to understand and see if I can make this work or do I have to have a 12127-Z body and internals?
Welcome to the club. To set up a distributor, you need what is commonly known as a "Sun Machine", a very expensive toy.
You have two choices: use as is and wait for the correct one to show; send out the one you got for a rebuild.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 10:11:32 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for the responses again.  Ill take the advice and going to an expert to get it set up right. 

Jim Cunningham explained in detail what I needed done and he could do it. 

Appreciate all feedback,
Dan