Author Topic: '70 Alt. Bracket Acceptable on late '69?  (Read 6105 times)

Offline drummingrocks

'70 Alt. Bracket Acceptable on late '69?
« on: February 02, 2011, 09:01:19 PM »
I'm restoring a '69 Mach 1 that I bought literally in a thousand pieces.  The previous owner started on it and lost interest.  The original 351 Windsor was partially disassembled, and I had a box full of miscellaneous engine parts to sift through.  The problem is that the parts of another engine and parts of a 1970 coupe were mixed in with the '69 parts at some time.  I'm trying to piece together what was original to this car.

My Mach 1 was built in Metuchen on June 5th, 1969.  The car came with two alternator brackets.  One is the triangular shape brace that bolts to the head, and the other is the long slotted bar that allows you to adjust belt tension.  However, this belt tension brace is coded as D00E-10145-B, which decodes to a 1970 part.  Looking at the Osborne engine assembly manual, this bracket should be coded C9OE-10145-B for a '69.  Given my car's fairly late build date, could this be the original alternator brace?  Could it have come new with a 1970-coded brace?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '70 Alt. Bracket Acceptable on late '69?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
.................  Could it have come new with a 1970-coded brace?

IMHO it might be possible but if there is a possibility that it was mixed in with some other 70 parts I would look for a C9 one if it were me since it would be hard for me to make a case that it was original if noticed on the show field
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 12:12:21 AM »
Is your Water Pump LH or RH Lower Hose Outlet? Is it an Original pump, and if so, what are the stampings?
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:28:01 PM »
I'll have to wait until I get it back from the rebuilder.  I know it was the original cast pump with a '69 date code and a Ford crest cast into the housing.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 11:23:53 PM »
I'll have to wait until I get it back from the rebuilder.  I know it was the original cast pump with a '69 date code and a Ford crest cast into the housing.

Should just dump to the passenger side of the engine
Jeff Speegle

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 08:57:35 AM »
It seems like did dump to the passenger side.  But then again, you know what they say about assuming...  :)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 09:33:10 PM »
It seems like did dump to the passenger side.  But then again, you know what they say about assuming...  :)

Got no problem with going with assumption's as long as they are anchored in some sort evidence ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 11:50:06 PM »
Well, the plot thickens.  I got the water pump back from the rebuilder today.  I could've sworn it had a C9 number on it, but it has a D0 casting code, which means it's 1970.  My Mach was built fairly late in '69, on June 5th, and I've speculated before about whether or not it could've come with some '70 coded parts originally.  As I originally posted in this thread, I've got a D0 alternator brace, which I assumed was incorrect and replaced with a C9-coded brace I bought.  Now, I've got the D0 water pump.

I'll get pictures of the pump tomorrow.  I got no documentation with this car, and even though it appeared to be largely original and unmolested, it was in a billion pieces.  Would it be ok to use my '70 alt. bracket and water pump, even though I can't provide documentation that they were on the car from day 1? 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 01:05:47 AM »
Could a "DO" marked water pump have been originally installed on your 69?  First step IMHO would be to check the casting date on the pump ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:09:39 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

• MagMustangs
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 01:32:45 AM »
Yes, please share the Date Code.  a D0- Pump Requires the D0- Upper Bracket.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 12:06:55 AM »
Here's a few pictures of the water pump.  Not sure if the actual D0 number is visible; I thought the picture would turn out a little better than that.  It looks like the code is D0CE-D.  The date code is 3C29.  I wasn't sure on how to paint the water pump, if I should paint everything, including the shaft and the bit the fan bolts to.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:13:34 AM by drummingrocks »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 12:46:54 AM »
Well that answers the question if the pump was original - it isn't

Originally the end/ flange would have had a removable mask leaving bare metal. The pump would have been painted (including mounting bolts) with the rest of the engine
Jeff Speegle

• MagMustangs
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 01:13:34 AM »
To go Concours, You will need a RH Lower Outlet C8OE- Pump with Proper Date Code, and it should use the C8OE- Upper and C7OE- Lower Alternator Brackets with 361W Specific Head Spacer-Adapter.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 11:00:51 AM »
Well that answers the question if the pump was original - it isn't

Originally the end/ flange would have had a removable mask leaving bare metal. The pump would have been painted (including mounting bolts) with the rest of the engine

I had just painted the pump and the mounting bolts in those pictures.   ;D

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 11:04:46 AM »
To go Concours, You will need a RH Lower Outlet C8OE- Pump with Proper Date Code, and it should use the C8OE- Upper and C7OE- Lower Alternator Brackets with 361W Specific Head Spacer-Adapter.

I'm already halfway home on part of that stuff.  I went ahead and rounded up the two earlier alternator brackets, as well as the 351W spacer that bolts to the front of the head.  As luck would have it, I later found the original spacer in a box of parts that the machine shop sent back...d'oh!  :D

What would I need to have in order to use this water pump?  I know the car came with the '70 coded alternator brace that lets you adjust belt tension.  From memory, I think the other triangular brace that supports the alternator has a C8 date code; does this mean I'll have to find another?  And finally, will this water pump not work with the '69 351W head spacer that bolts to the front of the head?

Thanks a million, you guys are life savers!   :D