Author Topic: 65 San Jose Fender paint question  (Read 772 times)

Offline TonyFio

65 San Jose Fender paint question
« on: January 08, 2021, 07:59:21 PM »
May 65 SJ build, while the fenders were painted before being assembled to the body, was the inside surface painted the body color, or was it left in primer?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 08:46:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Tony Fiorenza
65 Lux Coupe, SJ built, 5/65, owned since 1974

Offline jwc66k

Re: 65 San Jose Fender paint question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 08:19:05 PM »
Primer, then installed, then sprayed with "insulation". The primer color was not always "red". There are many pictures of the end results available thru the search feature.
Jim
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 08:46:22 PM by J_Speegle »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 08:27:21 PM »
Ok, thanks. I had the impression that they were painted the body color before installation.
I need to improve my search parameters, 'cause I wasn't seeing that detail.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 08:46:39 PM by J_Speegle »
Tony Fiorenza

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 08:33:47 PM »
Would invite you to read the article in the Library under the 65 heading titled -Undercarriage - Finishes and Sealer Guide for 1965 San Jose Built Mustangs  & Shelby's     Also the detail has been addressed in a number of threads in other sections

Same basic details as for all San Jose built cars. Fenders were painted with a red oxide colored primer sealer (different from the undercarriage and often other bolt on parts) then the outer surface with a light grey primer surfacer. This along with the body color were applied with the fender not yet bolted to the car. The back side could have received direct paint from painting the fender lip, back edge and the headlight bucket applications since some of the back side of the fenders are in line with those surfaces and heavy to minimum overspray on other back side surfaces. At the other end of the range of possibilities was a decent coat of exterior paint if the painter get carried away.

Sound deadener, a little or more depending on car and pattern, was added much later after the car was pretty much finished and the fender was bolted on the car

Take a look at the article - it may make things easier to understand
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 08:46:29 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 02:10:39 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Jeff. I thought it was more in line with what you describe, and I've read your article several times, but sometimes the details slip past. My apologies for rehashing some of these things.
Tony Fiorenza

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 02:20:25 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Jeff. I thought it was more in line with what you describe, and I've read your article several times, but sometimes the details slip past. My apologies for rehashing some of these things.

No problem. Was an instructor for many years and I understand that everyone does not always understand or learn using the same methods so you have to change things sometimes to get the message across. Pictures are generally the best for things like this especially consider the method we're using to communicate with each other
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)