Author Topic: San Jose rear backing plates mis-match question  (Read 1527 times)

Offline 1966KGT

San Jose rear backing plates mis-match question
« on: December 30, 2020, 11:49:55 AM »
My 11/08/1965 K GT, has a Bendix setup on one side and K/H on the other, only found one old post regarding this but had no replies. I this correct? Bought car in 2016, I'm 2 ND owner, been around car my whole life, original drums, 65k miles. has 23/32 wheel cylinders with blue daubs, maybe white.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 04:35:01 PM by J_Speegle »
1966 K GT, BUILT 11/08/65 4 SPEED, SAN JOSE CAR, 1969 Mustang convertible, 1970 MACH 1, 1963 GALAXIE Q code Fastback, 1966 mustang t code coupe, fuel injected

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: San Jose rear backing plates
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 04:34:24 PM »
There are examples from other years where the workers at the Sterling plant installed brake assemblies (backing plate with braking pads and hardware installed) from two different suppliers on the same rear end. Those findings for me would suggest that it could have happened during other years though in my experience not too common.  In general they normally matched from side to side from what I've seen
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: San Jose rear backing plates
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 04:54:28 PM »
There are examples from other years where the workers at the Sterling plant installed brake assemblies (backing plate with braking pads and hardware installed) from two different suppliers on the same rear end. Those findings for me would suggest that it could have happened during other years though in my experience not too common.  In general they normally matched from side to side from what I've seen
I agree with all points.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1966KGT

Re: San Jose rear backing plates mis-match question
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 05:03:32 PM »
Thanks.
1966 K GT, BUILT 11/08/65 4 SPEED, SAN JOSE CAR, 1969 Mustang convertible, 1970 MACH 1, 1963 GALAXIE Q code Fastback, 1966 mustang t code coupe, fuel injected

Offline k-code

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 06:11:29 PM »
My 11/08/1965 K GT, has a Bendix setup on one side and K/H on the other, only found one old post regarding this but had no replies. I this correct? Bought car in 2016, I'm 2 ND owner, been around car my whole life, original drums, 65k miles. has 23/32 wheel cylinders with blue daubs, maybe white.
I know this thread is old but I just signed up so gotta start somewhere.
My 12-18-64 k code coupe has KH on drivers side, Bendix on passengers, not only backing plates but the parking brake link and parking brake lever too. Both backing plates appear to be original.
Andy
65 K code coupe, Dearborn, Dec 18, '64

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 06:53:48 PM »
My 12-18-64 k code coupe has KH on drivers side, Bendix on passengers, not only backing plates but the parking brake link and parking brake lever too. Both backing plates appear to be original.
Each side backing plate was delivered to the assemblyline pre assembled. That is why all of the components inside match. Having one MFG (KH) backing plate on one side and another MFG (Bendix)on the other has been determined by so many examples to be not that uncommon .   I suspect that there are times at each assemblyline where it is more prevalent then others.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 07:15:46 PM »
It happened to my November 66, 67 Mustang too.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 08:09:14 PM »

Welcome to the site hope you find the site and members helpful
Jeff Speegle

Offline k-code

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2021, 08:25:02 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. Just signed up this morning and already found it very useful. Bought my car this spring. It's not concours so when I repair something I'll try my best to get it right.
Andy
65 K code coupe, Dearborn, Dec 18, '64

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 12:17:17 AM »
Welcome, and ask away.
It's not concours so when I repair something I'll try my best to get it right.
Good attitude. Remember that Ford didn't build "Concourse Grade" cars on its assembly lines - well, you already found that out.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 04:20:17 PM »
Welcome, and ask away.Good attitude. Remember that Ford didn't build "Concourse Grade" cars on its assembly lines - well, you already found that out.
Jim

Depends on your or others definition of the term. For what I think your trying to communicate I find "show" or "over restored" a better fit since 'Concours' line 'Restored" should reflect on how the cars originally looked. One of the reasons I believe Concours was included in the naming of this site  ;) Example of some of these "concours" details would  orange peel, runs in paint or unpainted areas where they may have be found on original or thew car being restored

Offered in an non- argumentative  way to share thoughts and views  :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 04:38:46 PM »
Example of some of these "concours" details would  orange peel, runs in paint or unpainted areas where they may have be found on original or thew car being restored

Offered in an non- argumentative  way to share thoughts and views  :)
You proved my point. There are quite a few reports of car painters be asked to "leave" or "add" some orange peel in the paint (in certain specific spots and DON'T overdo it).
The brake backing plate scenario is another. It's not "perfect", it's an assembly line Mustang - and IT"S MINE.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2021, 04:59:22 PM »
You proved my point. There are quite a few reports of car painters be asked to "leave" or "add" some orange peel in the paint (in certain specific spots and DON'T overdo it).
The brake backing plate scenario is another. It's not "perfect", it's an assembly line Mustang - and IT"S MINE.
Jim

Welcome, and ask away.Good attitude. Remember that Ford didn't build "Concourse Grade" cars on its assembly lines - well, you already found that out.
Jim

I don't agree. My point was that the factories DID built Concours grade cars IMHO its just how some apply and use the term "Concours" to mean something else today.

Apparently we differ on this point and that's ok with me
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2021, 07:57:59 PM »
We're going a bit off topic, but here's my interpretation.
- Ford "engineering" designed Concourse Grade Cars.
- Ford "purchasing" bought parts to a forecast, and in many cases, needed multiple sources. Around 1.6 million 64-66 Mustangs were built. Imagine 1.6 million right hand headlight buckets. They were cast in a mold. Molds wear out. A guess (on my part) is 100,000 headlight buckets per mold, then the mold is replaced. There were many engineering design changes, hopefully to improve the items affected.
- Assembly line people, engineering, quality, line workers, receiving, stocking, inspection (not redundant, just a lot), etc. They "reacted" to situations - fits, shortages, the UAW, etc.
- What design engineering wanted to do took a lot more time than manufacturing engineering was willing to spend. That's reflected in primer, sealer, welding, fits. The pressure was on PRODUCTION, for SALES, for STOCK HOLDERS.
- It is a known fact that production work is "boring". Workers tend to "drift off" into another world doing repetitive work. (I saw this while working in a high tech design lab, then seeing my designs get built by little old ladies, most of whom were WWII defense workers and knew both my grandmothers). Automobile assembly lines are noisy. I visited the San Jose plant in Milpitas twice in the late 60s, early 70s while working at Ford Aerospace.  It was noisy. The "boring" part is also why many new employees lasted less than 90 days. Drinking and drugs were common reasons for dismissal. You can see evidence of inattentive work in the engine compartments and wheel wells. The engineering documents specify the areas to be treated. In reality, leaning over a fender apron with a spray gun, spray "goop" is "boring", hence - over spray, spray trickles, missed spots - you can see this in several of the process pictures posted on the forum. It was "sloppy". It was acceptable.
- The Mustang was done, driven onto a rail car, or trucked locally in the San Jose area, to a dealer. At the dealer there was a process known as "dealer prep". In addition to the antenna being installed and the floor mats tossed in, many dealers had to do "minor" adjustment - doors, hood, etc. Paint touch up, usually from shipping damage, was common. Then a washing - then, bingo - on the lot - just for you.
"Bring it back if you got any problems." was the dealer's parting word.
So:
Concourse Grade = engineering's design.
Real world = lots of not so perfect, but very common, assembly line cars
A month later = a daily driver, with mud, road tar, leaves in the vents (that also leak).
There it is. I make an attempt to do the best that I can on my cars, Concourse Grade, but do fall short occasionally.
What's your goal?
Jim

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2021, 09:45:17 PM »
You're both correct, but have different interpretations of the word "concours".
For Jeff, it is whatever Ford produced as delivered to the dealer (and possibly prepped by the dealer) for sale.  This site intends to replicate that quality, even if it has flaws, warts, and all.
For Jim, concours means the finest possible example of what was intended to be produced.  What was actually produced is a close facsimile to the ideal. 

For me, I have a bag of popcorn, and am enjoying the discussion!  Anyone have butter?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com