Author Topic: 67 NJ Running Change Survey - Engine Compartment Brake Line Routing  (Read 527 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Just went through my picture collection in an effort to respond to another thread and figured why I had the data collected I should post for later use, expansion and reflection. I am reusing the two clear and marked pictures from the San Jose thread on the same subject since they are much clearer than what I have to start with from NJ examples of the same year so forgive me for that

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This time its the routing of the brake lines from the distribution block to the center of the firewall. Two routes have been documented.

One with both lines routed above the steering column (at firewall) location as shown below.

The second with both lines routed below the steering column location as shown below. Yes there is a non-factory wire existing the hole for the throttle for some reason  ::)

Have some examples samples but can always use more - your may be in the change over gap that always seems to come up. Real build/finish dates are important and at least a partial (for spread sheet ordering) is important.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++12/26/2020 Update +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Currently from the limited numbers of what  I have available the range between the over and under routing is between cars
7T21248x and 7T22463x

Having only projected build dates from door tags or buildsheets we have a gap between
March 9th and April 6th 1967

If the dates are close it appears that the change was implemented about a month ahead of the San Jose assembly plant.

Hope we can narrow this gap further with others adding data points. If you have real build dates to go along with your finding please include that since that is very important to these surveys. Thanks
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 NJ Running Change Survey - Engine Compartment Brake Line Routing
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 06:32:20 PM »
Something that came up during the survey was a possible difference between the clamps used to secure the rear brake line to the firewall near the steering column. In the first two San Jose pictures it appears that the same clamp was used in both applications just tilted depending on route.

In the two pictures below the length of at least the later version is much longer. Just mentioning it since its there - for discussion and to alert others to the possibility.

Also owners will want to make sure that they include the retainer placed between the two brake lines that is often removed or has fallen off over the years ( green arrow)

NOTE: These to examples also happen to be the latest above and the earliest below listed in my first post

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)