Author Topic: Door parts assembly order?  (Read 1157 times)

Offline DougDyar

Door parts assembly order?
« on: December 09, 2020, 10:21:44 PM »
I'm ready to reassemble the doors on my BOSS 302 after 30 years apart.
Since I didn't take them apart, I don't remember how they go back together.
Anyone care to offer their experience in reassembly? I assume that there is a logical order to putting it all back together. This car's like a jigsaw puzzle with the picture on the box missing...
Thx!
Doug
0F02G203277
June 22, 1970 Dearborn BOSS 302

Offline jwc66k

Re: Door parts assembly order?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 12:14:10 AM »
If you have a copy of the 70 Mustang Body Assembly Manual it might be easier for you to assemble the door. I've found that the numbered pages and the numbered items correspond to assembly line steps. 
As always, I recommend you get a set.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline DougDyar

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 07:47:40 AM »
If you have a copy of the 70 Mustang Body Assembly Manual it might be easier for you to assemble the door. I've found that the numbered pages and the numbered items correspond to assembly line steps. 
As always, I recommend you get a set.
Jim

I do have a copy of the Osborne manual. Never considered that the numbers correspond to assembly order. I'll give it another look using this new insight...

I found some great Youtube videos by the Cougar guys on the west coast. Love the ones where they cut away the door skin to show how everything works.

Still, though, hoping someone out there in Boss Nation might have some helpful hints.

Doug
0F02G203277

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 12:43:44 PM »
Im in the same situation, Doug. I disassembled my doors 20 years ago and will be reassembling them after my Mach comes home from the paint shop next month. Also, whats the conventional wisdom regarding aligning the doors/fenders without the glass/mechanism/door panels installed? My painter says the pieces need to be installed AND the drivetrain must be installed BEFORE the panels can be aligned. I dont agree as those items werent installed when the car was built at the factory. Granted, panel fitment wasnt perfect but it can be done well enough. Thoughts?
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 04:21:12 PM »
Im in the same situation, Doug. I disassembled my doors 20 years ago and will be reassembling them after my Mach comes home from the paint shop next month. Also, whats the conventional wisdom regarding aligning the doors/fenders without the glass/mechanism/door panels installed? My painter says the pieces need to be installed AND the drivetrain must be installed BEFORE the panels can be aligned. I dont agree as those items werent installed when the car was built at the factory. Granted, panel fitment wasnt perfect but it can be done well enough. Thoughts?
A while back (2, 3 years ago) I had a long drawn out "conversation" with the owner of a local body shop about Ford installing the doors and trunk lids on early Mustangs prior to the car being painted. He insisted the entire door was painted off the car, assembled - windows, inside trim and handles, then installed on the car. I showed him Ford assembly line pictures as evidence of the procedure. He still insists he's right. Did GM and Chrysler do things differently and that "difference" twist his mind?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 04:24:27 PM »
did you ask him why there was no overspray on installed parts?? he should know better.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 04:58:29 PM »
I'm ready to reassemble the doors on my BOSS 302 after 30 years apart.
Since I didn't take them apart, I don't remember how they go back together.
Anyone care to offer their experience in reassembly? I assume that there is a logical order to putting it all back together. This car's like a jigsaw puzzle with the picture on the box missing...

Can't recall any tricks or problems. If I recall correct I installed all the parts except windows and their retainers as well as the inner and outer door felt (outer one since the inner is attached to the door panel or door trim on 69's). Also you can leave out the stops until after the windows are installed and as part of their adjustment.

Outer door felt last - just before the door panel, handles and arm rest or deluxe door pocket screws

All from the top of my head so might have over looked a detail

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 05:00:12 PM »
Im in the same situation, Doug. I disassembled my doors 20 years ago and will be reassembling them after my Mach comes home from the paint shop next month. Also, whats the conventional wisdom regarding aligning the doors/fenders without the glass/mechanism/door panels installed? ...............

As mentioned in other threads about the subject, some here have premeasured weights that they lay in the bottom of the door that replicate the weight of the door parts and window for this purpose
Jeff Speegle

Offline C6ZZGT

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 06:53:48 PM »
What Jeff said ^^^^^^^^ Have weight in the door, glass and regulators etc OR rocks that match the weight.
Brian
66 GT Coupe 6R07A143871 owned since 1983
40+ yr parts man , over 25 with Ford.

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 11:15:55 AM »
As mentioned in other threads about the subject, some here have premeasured weights that they lay in the bottom of the door that replicate the weight of the door parts and window for this purpose
I did this with my '65 coupe a few years ago when we were prepping it for paint. It worked well. Thanks for the suggestion, Jeff.
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline DougDyar

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 12:39:42 PM »
Since this thread has drifted a bit, I will rephrase my question.

I have already installed the inside and outside door handles, lock mechanism and courtesy light harness.

Some have suggested that some of the parts that bolt to the window should be attached after the window's in the door.

Given the following door/window parts, what order should they be installed?

Window glass
Window crank mechanism
Window stops
Window slider tubes in door
Window sliders that bolt to window
Outer beltline weatherstrip

Thanks for your input!

Doug
0F02G203277

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2020, 01:20:42 PM »
Since this thread has drifted a bit, I will rephrase my question.

I have already installed the inside and outside door handles, lock mechanism and courtesy light harness.

Some have suggested that some of the parts that bolt to the window should be attached after the window's in the door.

Given the following door/window parts, what order should they be installed?

Window glass
Window crank mechanism
Window stops

Thanks for your input!

Doug
Please read the first reply (aka second post) of this thread.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2020, 06:27:06 PM »
Think you would be fine with the following order of installation if I was doing the task. First two could be reversed without too much extra hassle. There are additional steps in there but you'll figure those out

Window crank mechanism
Window glass
Window stops
Jeff Speegle