Author Topic: VIN assignment 70 Mach 1  (Read 3039 times)

Offline Skidoodave

VIN assignment 70 Mach 1
« on: November 30, 2020, 11:53:44 PM »
Hi there,

I was on another forum and I ran across a post for a guy working on a 70 Mach 1, built at Metuchen on June 22nd, 1970 according to his Marti report. My 1970 Mach 1 was also built at Metuchen on June 22nd, 1970. We compared the last 4 numbers on our VIN’s to see how far apart on the assembly line they were. There is a difference of about 1800 between the two numbers.

My question is how were the VIN’s assigned. I can’t believe they would build 1800 cars per day. Anyone have any thoughts. And yes, I thought about asking on the other forum but I believe all of the experts reside here. Thanks in advance.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: VIN assignment 70 Mach 1
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 01:03:19 AM »
VINs were assigned when the order was received at the plant and a scheduled or best guess assembly date was assigned also.

Now when it came down to constructing the cars they didn't car what the sequential number was nor what the projected build date was. You may not be aware but cars were not built in sequential order. It was based on need ( type of order) and if the parts to complete the car were available on site.  The gaps could and likely were greater than what we can currently document.

From production documents cars following one another could be at least 4,000 sequential numbers apart and three to four weeks apart (comparing scheduled build dates)

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Skidoodave

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 08:59:23 AM »
Yes it does, excellent explanation.It seams that these two cars could have been coming down the line one behind the other but there is no way to tell. It’s still pretty amazing that you can find 2 cars built on the same date at the same plant still surviving after 50 years.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 05:40:40 PM »
Back when "common knowledge" thought that the cars were built sequentially there were numerous guys that would seek out and buy two sequential numbered cars. Sold a 69 Talladega to as had the car numbered before or just after the one I owned at the time
Jeff Speegle

Online 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 06:59:00 PM »
...It seams that these two cars could have been coming down the line one behind the other but there is no way to tell...
The final rotation numbers (if known) would get you closer.  But I suppose there would be reasons why they might not be in exact numerical order.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 07:36:58 PM »
The final rotation numbers (if known) would get you closer.  But I suppose there would be reasons why they might not be in exact numerical order.

If you had the build sheets (second rotation number in the upper left hand corner)  from both, your correct that would be even more information as where they were arranged for the second half of production. Since they are both NJ cars there is the possibility that one sheet may remain in the cars. Not sure why a car in the second half would be out of order but guess it could happen. Think it might be more likely in the first half given the discussions with plant managers
Jeff Speegle

Offline Skidoodave

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 11:37:31 PM »
So, here’s something even crazier. I was on Craigslist the other day looking at 70 Mustangs and I found on in CT. Car is pretty tough but the seller had the Marti in his pics as well as a pic of his VIN. I looked at the VIN and noticed it sounded familiar. Then I looked at the Marti, turns out this Mach 1 was also built at Metuchen on June 22nd 1970 and the sequential VIN is less than 200 apart from mine. That’s 2 I’ve found born on the same day as mine.

Offline Blues Power

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 12:22:56 PM »
my car was built 12/23/70
my neighbor has a 70 M1 built 15 cars lower than mine on the same day at the same plant with almost the same options

we can only imagine both of them sitting on the San Jose parking lot together waiting to get trucked to a dealer and now theyre 150 feet apart again

its a miracle how both can end up on Long Island and on the same block after all these years

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 03:16:36 PM »
Guys use to search out sequential numbered cars and try and get pairs hoping that that would increase the value of them. And it sometimes worked back in the 80's early 90's. Once we figured out that they were not built that way most stopped looking for pairs based on numbers.  Since some of the special models were entered at only one of the plant and ordered in groups its even more common for those to share very close VIN's and build dates

Still a surprise to find another similar car on just chance like you guys have
Jeff Speegle

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 01:18:24 AM »
my car was built 12/23/70
my neighbor has a 70 M1 built 15 cars lower than mine on the same day at the same plant with almost the same options

we can only imagine both of them sitting on the San Jose parking lot together waiting to get trucked to a dealer and now theyre 150 feet apart again

its a miracle how both can end up on Long Island and on the same block after all these years

Is your build date perhaps 12/23/69 or 2/23/70?

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 02:01:31 PM »
Have Martis for two 70 machs built on June 22nd, 1970. Their CUNs are 1626 apart.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline Skidoodave

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 03:51:05 PM »
I?d love to see those Marti reports. Would you be willing to post them? What plant were the cars built at?

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 05:43:18 PM »
I?d love to see those Marti reports. Would you be willing to post them? What plant were the cars built at?
Metuchen H codes.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is