Author Topic: 65 Vacuum Advance repro  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Brian Conway

65 Vacuum Advance repro
« on: November 18, 2020, 10:45:00 PM »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

Re: 65 Vacuum Advance repro
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 12:10:24 AM »
I bought the last one available. It should be delivered Monday. I'll let you know.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 02:02:12 AM »
Still doesn’t look like you can attach the metal vacuum line by the fitting. Still need a rubber hose
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 07:17:45 PM »
Still doesn’t look like you can attach the metal vacuum line by the fitting. Still need a rubber hose

Yes looks like you would need to swap out the outer tip section that threads into the housing. Might affect the settings a little
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 07:56:36 PM »
Yes looks like you would need to swap out the outer tip section that threads into the housing. Might affect the settings a little
There is no swapping out. It appears to be all one piece.The discription in the auction confirms as much. The end does not come off. You may be able to machine off the nipple so that you can drill and tap for the line fitting. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 07:59:34 PM »
Well looks 100% better than the current products.  About attaching the metal vac line: I was thinking a female compression fitting at the vac advance snout.   
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 08:07:27 PM »
if not removable then there is no way to calibrate it like the originals. i would not waste my $$.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 11:06:39 PM »
if not removable then there is no way to calibrate it like the originals. i would not waste my $$.
I was wondering about it was meant to be calibrated too. They are not supposed to be one calibration fits all without a lot of compromise.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 11:53:34 PM »

That's exactly right.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 05:42:42 AM »
I was wondering about it was meant to be calibrated too. They are not supposed to be one calibration fits all without a lot of compromise.

Most aftermarket default to a one-for-all design. Nothing new, we are all aware of this. The compromise would be a need to run the base timing at "other than factory" settings. It is plausible to do such but I agree that an adjustable advance (similar to an adjustable auto transmission modulator) would be far more desirable.

I bought the last one available. It should be delivered Monday. I'll let you know.
Jim

We can let Jim tell it how it works out. Maybe, just maybe it is adjustable.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 03:28:17 PM »
In the past it didn't matter if they were adjustable or even worked just that they looked good. We would disconnect or cut the diaphragm arm inside,plug the nipple before putting the hose back on .That was because many of us would gut the insides of the distributor and put in a centrifugal advance and duel points for better seat of the pants acceleration . We also plugged the the thermactor ports and gutted the smog pump to make it free wheeling.  Everything looked like it was assemblyline but with added performance.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 03:31:10 PM »
another thought but not mentioned in ad.....possible to be adjusted by using allen wrench in nipple fitting as some aftermarket ones do.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 04:54:35 PM »
Pretty sure you could add the detail to the end to replicate the fitting the originals had but still have to figure out how to attach the steel line .   If your concerned about showing the car the point deduction may be the same between wrong advance and lack of steel vacuum line
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 04:56:43 PM »
the fitting jeff refers to is available.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 05:13:54 PM »
Pretty sure you could add the detail to the end to replicate the fitting the originals had but still have to figure out how to attach the steel line .   If your concerned about showing the car the point deduction may be the same between wrong advance and lack of steel vacuum line
Jeff, the end is made as all one piece with the body.The part with the nipple does not detach like original. As I said in reply #4 you may be successful with milling the nipple end down flat and then drill out and tap for the metal tube fitting.