Author Topic: Clutch Return Spring And Retainer  (Read 810 times)

Offline jwc66k

Clutch Return Spring And Retainer
« on: November 11, 2020, 06:21:14 PM »
In February 14, 1966, Ford added an addition clutch return spring for Mustangs with manual transmissions. I assume this includes Shelbys built after that date. The spring used a retainer that came thru the firewall using a vertical slot in the firewall. The retainer was held in place with "tangs" (see picture 4, -13). The flat piece is a seal, material unknown.
Here's what I know.
Pic 1 From the 75 Ford Car Parts, ILL75P05.
Pic 2 thru 9 (-11 thru -18, sample 1)
Pic 10 thru 12 (-21 thru - 23, sample 2)
Pic 13 a sketch
Note: The original part appears to be natural steel, possibly phosphated or painted black.
Jim
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 08:20:59 PM by J_Speegle »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Clutch Return Spring And Retainer
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 08:26:18 PM »
Not certain the the date is exactly correct and applies to all three plants but it's a moot point IMHO since an owner can't determine when they car was actually finished since we lack those records :) Of course the change, earlier or later would not be an issue on non-manual cars only on manual cars since the change includes three individual parts

Thanks for posting the bracket again

Just confirming that pictures 5-9 are the gasket/seal?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 08:28:33 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 12:21:12 AM »
Not certain the the date is exactly correct and applies to all three plants -
The date of 2/14/66 was in the parts section of both editions of Ford Car Parts, Section 75 under base number 7540.
Just confirming that pictures 5-9 are the gasket/seal?

Yes. I believe the parts came from and are currently in 6S1902.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 09:34:35 PM »
Interesting, the crude sketch in Pic 13 is mine. IIRC I made it for a friend based on my original.  His original was missing and we discussed the idea of him fabricating one easily.  I didn't include the tangs since they would have been a little more difficult to create.