Author Topic: 3 point seat belts  (Read 2650 times)

Offline silverelvis69

Re: 3 point seat belts
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 09:05:29 PM »
Ok Gents

Can someone post a photo of the fomoco seatbelt tag and decription?

Much appreciated?

Alex
1970 Mach1 351 Cleaveland 4V-V8
San Jose built
11/69
Mustang mach1 2-door sports roof
Dark ivy green metallic
FMX select shift automatic transmission.
Ps A/c

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2020, 09:17:34 PM »
Ok Gents

Can someone post a photo of the fomoco seatbelt tag and decription?

There are a few posted in the 70 unrestored picture threads also the Date code article in the Library shows some pictures of some labels and mentions the recall campaign and how those labels and buckles were marked to show compliance after the campaign. For the picture look under the "Late 70 H code Dearborn Mach I - Unrestored Picture Thread" title

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline silverelvis69

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2020, 10:32:01 PM »
interesting - I have these??

Trying to work out instructions for restorer?
1970 Mach1 351 Cleaveland 4V-V8
San Jose built
11/69
Mustang mach1 2-door sports roof
Dark ivy green metallic
FMX select shift automatic transmission.
Ps A/c

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2020, 11:33:33 PM »
interesting - I have these??

Trying to work out instructions for restorer?

He may not have labels made for your year and or supplier
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 12:21:57 AM »
from my 69
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 05:38:47 AM »
Looking at what we have in the article  pgs 29-30, we have one suppliers label from Aug 68  and then we have the TSB note that the recall and labeling of the seat belts starting on Sept 9th 1969. We also have two different examples of labels from different suppliers for these two examples both using the larger printing - different from the 67-69 examples we typically see.
Jeff Speegle

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2021, 01:46:30 AM »
Does anyone know if Robbins and Hamill made complete seat-belt sets for the individual production plants for if they made separate components. I have a Nov 69 Dearborn car and the seat belts have a mix of the two manufacturers but the car has a chequered history and I can't completely assume they'r correct.
Brad

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2021, 12:37:14 AM »
Does anyone know if Robbins and Hamill made complete seat-belt sets for the individual production plants for if they made separate components. I have a Nov 69 Dearborn car and the seat belts have a mix of the two manufacturers but the car has a chequered history and I can't completely assume they'r correct.
Brad

Would guess that the supplier provided and shipped matching pairs but see nothing on original cars to suggested that they were connected or packaged together. In the ones I've seen that were not removed during dealer prep there were individual bags over at least some years from so unidentified supplier(s)

Are both belt and bucket side in your example dated from about the same time period?  Just looking for more clues to help or rule out the possibilities
Jeff Speegle

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2021, 06:11:28 AM »
I have two complete sets of front belts & shoulder straps (L&R  = six belts in total) that were made by Robbins and they all have the same codes: 1470 R5 05. I have two sets of rear belts (L&R  = four belts in total) and they are made by Hamill and have the codes: 102 8-70 and 102 17-70.  So I don't know if it is coincidence that all the fronts are Robbins and the rears are Hamills or if that is the way they originally came?  Again, was it a case that Ford used what was available and mixes are possible?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2021, 11:05:20 PM »
With that explanation I now understand the combination you have. Was thinking you might have one seat belt from one vendor and the buckle side from another.

Yes I would guess that this happened not often but on a somewhat  regular basis as a load from one supplier was being loaded to the line after another vendors was running out for the installer. Believe from conversations with workers the front seat belts and the rears were installed by different workers at different stations along the line. Of course these mixed sets must have added to the work load for whom ever handled the recall related to the belts
Jeff Speegle

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 08:37:39 AM »
Thanks Jeff and I agree that if the mixed combination happened, it would have been an  odd occurrence.

Offline Dennis Y

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2023, 12:27:13 PM »
Was going to post a similar question until I came about this in my search.. My car has Hamill belts in the front (although 1 has been cut) and Robbins in the rear. I am looking for a buckle side Hammill with a late 68 date code if anybody has an odd set sitting around.