Author Topic: 3 point seat belts  (Read 2657 times)

Offline silverelvis69

3 point seat belts
« on: November 11, 2020, 12:43:17 AM »
Hi All,
I have a san jose 1970 mach1.
does anyone know if it was a 3 point seat belt or over the lap 2 point type?

Thanks in advance

Alex
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 12:52:53 AM by silverelvis69 »
1970 Mach1 351 Cleaveland 4V-V8
San Jose built
11/69
Mustang mach1 2-door sports roof
Dark ivy green metallic
FMX select shift automatic transmission.
Ps A/c

Offline cobrajet_carl

Re: 3 point seat belts
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 10:29:26 AM »
Unless the worker forgot to install the shoulder harness, it was 3 point.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline silverelvis69

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 03:38:38 AM »
Can anyone post photos of setup please?
San Jose built
11/69
Dark ivy green metallic
Ps A/c

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 12:54:04 PM »
Hi All,
I have a san jose 1970 mach1.
does anyone know if it was a 3 point seat belt or over the lap 2 point type?
The front seat belts used in 1970 for Hardtops and Sportsroof type Mustangs are the two belt system, a lap belt and a shoulder belt. They both attached at the center of the car to separate two belt latches for each seat. The shoulder belt attaches at the upper rear of the door frame with a bolt. When not in use, the strap has a hook and elastic strap retainer at the roof near the "A" pillar.
All this is shown in the 1970 Mustang Interior Assembly Manual, AM0032 pages 7 thru 11.
(Note: There is no 1969 Mustang Interior Manual, but the belts are installed relatively the same.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 07:20:23 PM »
Can anyone post photos of setup please?
It's fairly uncomfortable as there is no give in the shoulder belt,
Carl

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 10:37:21 PM »
From my 69 3 point.  Forward buckle is for the lap.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Blues Power

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 12:29:27 PM »
those things will snap your spine

better off converting to the new-modern retractable 3 point style.
i did  mine a few yrs ago

bolts right in

come in original colors at no charge

for the 2 points i'll lose at a show, my life is more important.
i keep the originals in the trunk if they should ask.... but so far no one said anything

https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/category/mustang-seat-belts.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 12:32:19 PM by Blues Power »

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 01:16:15 PM »

bolts right in

i keep the originals in the trunk if they should ask.... but so far no one said anything

Uh, no. In an accident they are functionally equivalent. The modern ones merely let you move around more easily. But once the inertia of crash locks them, no difference.
Carl

Offline silverelvis69

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 04:55:53 PM »
I suppose you can set it all up and if uncomfortable, unhatch the buckle as photo below and still use it as a lap belt?
Right? and have the shoulder belt hanging on hook.

Currently setup and origina is the retractor and over lap. Trying to setup the shoulder (and source the shoulder harness belt - which I am having difficulty) missing the 2 long belts in photo (and if anyone has a spare- pls contact me)

Someone above mentioned uncomfortable - so I guess this setup allows you to use not use the shoulder harness.

Best of both worlds. Make it factory look and use/not use shoulder harness by strapping up on hook.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 05:09:10 PM by silverelvis69 »
San Jose built
11/69
Dark ivy green metallic
Ps A/c

9TO2Hknot4cell

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 08:07:36 PM »

bolts right in

I had to fight years ago about "Safety" in MCA concours DRIVEN class. The first 2 times out after I installed 2" spot mirrors on my 69 Mach 1, I got points counted off for the mirrors. I went to Allan Stewart (RIP) and spoke my case that I cannot hardly see through the small racing style mirrors and since I drive the Mach I, installed the spot mirrors. The rules were changed to allow for safety installments of driven Mustangs in the concours class. 

So, I can't see where you should get points counted off for seat belt additions IF you show in a driven MCA class. At the beginning of Judging when you are approached by the Judges, introduce yourself and mention your seat belt concern. No points should be deducted.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 09:08:31 PM »
those things will snap your spine.

Really tempted to ask how that would be possible but that would be getting off thread even more. Never heard or seen anything close to that in over 30 years of extrication or teaching the subject. But believe your concern is your concern - it's your car

I had to fight years ago about "Safety" in MCA concours DRIVEN class. The first 2 times out after I installed 2" spot mirrors on my 69 Mach 1, ................

The "Safety" allotment can get carried away IMHO and over the 35 plus years rarely saw anyone asking for consideration on the show field more often discussed at judges meeting. But all those possibilities are better discussed in another thread.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

9TO2Hknot4cell

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 09:26:12 AM »
Really tempted to ask how that would be possible but that would be getting off thread even more. Never heard or seen anything close to that in over 30 years of extrication or teaching the subject. But believe your concern is your concern - it's your car

The "Safety" allotment can get carried away IMHO and over the 35 plus years rarely saw anyone asking for consideration on the show field more often discussed at judges meeting. But all those possibilities are better discussed in another thread.
Speegle, read my post again. I didn't say anything was considered on the show field. I plainly stated in black & white that I got deducted the points ::)

THEN.....I went to Allan Stewart at next shows JUDGES MEETING because REMEMBER, we don't see our judges sheets at the present show, so I wouldn't of known about the points counted off for the mirrors until I received my judging sheets in the mail. ::)

To recap Speegle, no rules were changed or any kind of "Consideration" as you called it, at the show. Make sense now?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 03:46:26 PM by 9TO2Hknot4cell »

Offline silverelvis69

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 09:51:14 AM »
Any idea what the circle of beltr is used for? Did not realise this was part of the set?
San Jose built
11/69
Dark ivy green metallic
Ps A/c

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 11:20:51 AM »
Any idea what the circle of beltr is used for? Did not realise this was part of the set?
The rear seats.
Carl

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 07:19:04 PM »
Speegle, read my post again. I didn't say anything was considered on the show field. I plainly stated in black & white that I got deducted the points ::)

Did and no reason to really continue down this path IMHO since I believe that considerations of one form or another have and will likely be allowed for Concours driven as long as the class remains

.....I went to Allan Stewart at next shows JUDGES MEETING because REMEMBER, we don't see our judges sheets at the present show, so I wouldn't of known about the points counted off for the mirrors until I received my judging sheets in the mail. ::)

Top recap Speegle, no rules were changed or any kind of "Consideration" as you called it, at the show. Make sense now?

Not unusual for owners to at least believe a concern has been raised by the judging team or that a deduction is being discussed. Don't always have to ask or see the sheets.

From your earlier post where you wrote runes were changed. So a bit confused that the two sentences seem to be in conflict with each others but that's ok so we can get back to the focus of the thread.  Not sure if anything else needs discussing but if so I invite you to PM me if so.

I had to fight years ago about "Safety" in MCA concours DRIVEN class. The first 2 times out after I installed 2" spot mirrors on my 69 Mach 1, I got points counted off for the mirrors. I went to Allan Stewart (RIP) and spoke my case that I cannot hardly see through the small racing style mirrors and since I drive the Mach I, installed the spot mirrors. The rules were changed to allow for safety installments of driven Mustangs in the concours class. 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)