Author Topic: 64 1/2 gas tank  (Read 4232 times)

Offline Dave Stribling

64 1/2 gas tank
« on: January 25, 2011, 09:54:39 AM »
Pulled out the gas tank for the Pace car and found this:

So was the gas tank installed before the rear sound deadeners applied?

Dave

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: 64 1/2 gas tank
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 10:08:34 AM »
Dave,
I believe all of the earlier production gas tanks did not have the baffles installed.  There are also no indentations on the side there under that undercoating like on a later tank.

Because there were no baffles, there was a problem with the sloshing noise, so the undercoating on the sides was supposed to help with this.

On the original cars that I have seen like this, the sound deadener was applied to the tank after the gas tank was installed.  Here is how we did my August '64 production Dearborn Convertible.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:22:41 AM by Brant »

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 11:53:46 AM »
Dave,
I believe all of the earlier production gas tanks did not have the baffles installed.  There are also no indentations on the side there under that undercoating like on a later tank.

Because there were no baffles, there was a problem with the sloshing noise, so the undercoating on the sides was supposed to help with this.

On the original cars that I have seen like this, the sound deadener was applied to the tank after the gas tank was installed.  Here is how we did my August '64 production Dearborn Convertible.

I love learning new things.

Dave

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 01:26:28 AM »
Whilst I was trawling through the archives I found this post which I want to ask a little more about as I'm kinda at this stage.

To apply or not apply sound deadener to the side of the gas tank? that is the question.

Given that I'm fresh out of paint, I've notice that deadener wasn't applied to the rear wheel wells, so don't stress I say I'm sure worse things are bound to happen along the way, so whilst researching I'm inclined to know whether to fit the gas tank in and apply deadener to the rear wheel wells, and gas tank with some deadener sprayed on the chassis rail.

p.s. not too sure why the pics in first post aren't available to view anymore, maybe the age of the post.
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 11:17:47 AM »
The fuel tank was not installed when the rear wheel well sound deadener was applied.  Any sound deadener applied to the gas tank would have been after the car was painted and gas tank installed and probably done on a limited basis or even possibly done by a dealer upon customer complaint.

Personally, I would not apply the sound deadener to tank unless you were certain your car came that way... and just having "sound deadener" previously applied to the tank would need to be discerned between dealer/previous owner application of undercoating.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 11:20:54 AM by caspian65 »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 12:45:18 PM »
p.s. not too sure why the pics in first post aren't available to view anymore, maybe the age of the post.

That's the drawback of linking to images on other sites. If they are removed or go away, valuable reference material disappears. It's best to download an image and attach it directly into your post, then it is stored on the CMF site. Which hopefully will be around forever  :D

Same thing goes for any links - discussions on other forums, YouTube videos, etc. A link is great, but it really helps to also copy & paste crucial pieces of discussion into a post so it doesn't disappear down the road.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 10:02:47 PM »
The fuel tank was not installed when the rear wheel well sound deadener was applied...

Personally, I would not apply the sound deadener to tank...
Thanks for clarifying Charles ;)
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline Brant

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 10:11:22 AM »
It's cool how these old threads are revived.

Anyway, I wanted to also share an image of the original gas tank from my June '64 Coupe.  No indentations on sides for baffles and undercoating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 01:55:41 PM »

Anyway, I wanted to also share an image of the original gas tank from my June '64 Coupe.  No indentations on sides for baffles and undercoating.

Brant - just to clarify for others the car in the picture was built at Dearborn ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brant

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 06:41:42 PM »
Brant - just to clarify for others the car in the picture was built at Dearborn ;)

Yes

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 12:23:03 PM »

Brant,
   How does that compare with the product sprayed inside the front aprons? If identical, it would support assembly line application. Wouldn't be too much of a stretch to imagine the worker giving the tank a quick shot before starting on the next car. Possibly as suggested previously to dampen fuel sloshing noise prior to phasing in the baffled tanks. Wish I could compare it to my April car, but the original tank was discarded long ago.  :'(
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 JalapeƱo Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 07:06:42 PM »
Darn, shoulda saved, or taken lots of pictures, of my Mar 64 gas tank that I replaced last year (it was filled with rust after sitting for 10 years).  I do have some pictures from underneath that I took soon after taking the car in for work, before anything was done to the gas tank.  I'll have to dig those out and see what I see.  Pretty sure nothing was done to that part of the car before I bought it in '86.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 12:53:03 AM »
I'd suspect a March '64 car would be too early for the sound deadener application to the tank.  The application was most likely due to customer complaints and the sound deadener a 'quick fix', until baffled tanks were introduced into normal production.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 07:01:39 PM »
 I meant to reply to this post but needed time to find my pic. Attached is a picture showing the side of the original tank from my June 64 Dearborn built coupe. As you can see in the image, it clearly has a lot of thick undercoating on the side, perhaps identifying what was said earlier. This is the only picture I have of this. I cannot remember if it was flat sided or had baffled sides??  "Most" of this car was untouched though well used. I am the second owner and the car had been parked in 1986 until I picked it up in 2007. Open for comments...
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'