Author Topic: Was it possible to "special order" anything from factory other than paint?  (Read 4080 times)

Was it possible to "special order" anything from factory other than paint? For instance, if you wanted Thunderbird hubcaps or wheels, or better yet Cougar since it was same assembly line, could those be "special ordered"? Or anything else?

Yes, I know you could get dealer installed items all the time, that is not what I am asking. I am asking about things that would show up on Marti report.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
From the original cars I've seen and owned things like different than regular production optional hubcaps would have been handled at the dealer. Since the hubcaps were not installed at the factory (due to thief concerns) but once the car arrived at the dealership - as were the antennas. In that case to reduce the chance of damage

Caused allot less confusion that way and it also allowed for the dealers to "upgrade" (and change) a buyer for fancier hubcaps if needed to make a sale IMHO. Know of a number of cars that had the hubcaps changed at the dealership to make a customer happy - one a 70 Special order paint convertible I owned years ago. The original woman buyer did not like the fake wire hubcaps that was available and had the full size real wire hubcaps installed instead. Window sticker showed them but the shipping invoice did not. And since the car was a special order paint car that the woman ordered and waited for, we can assume that the hubcap change was not something (in this example) that was just done to make a sale of a car already on the lot. And that was supported by her story

As for "special ordering" other items the answer IMHO is sort of yes or no depending on allot of things. During 69 & 70 you had limitations by what was legal (emissions comes to mind) and what could or would be warrantied. SPecial colors was the most popular special thing to do to these cars and it was relatively cheap. Of course with the access to the Ford data base allot of claims by owners (in the past) of special order options faded away.

Think allot of these out of ordinary things got handed (if true) at the dealership level though I'm sure there were a few with connections that some oddities but that percentage of overall production very very small.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:48:03 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Pete Bush

Most of the special orders I've seen involve a special colored painted. However, export cars, for one, often required some special equipment. Police cars, and taxis also required special modifications done at the factory. These types of special orders were often noted on the build sheet, and would likely show up on a Marti Report.
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
I've seen a report on the Internet Forum that a 65-68 station wagon was built with a 427 and a four speed, definitely not a standard option.  That wagon was a one-of-a-kind.  Special orders were more common then than now.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Carl

Re: Was it possible to "special order" anything from factory other than paint?
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 10:00:33 AM »
John,

That is the weirdest invoice I've ever seen.  Instrument panel with miscellaneous air conditioning components?  Was the "trans axle" the two speed rear?  That is NEAT!

Carl
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:02:47 AM by Carl »

Offline JohnRB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 05:25:31 PM »
John,

That is the weirdest invoice I've ever seen.  Instrument panel with miscellaneous air conditioning components?  Was the "trans axle" the two speed rear?  That is NEAT!

Carl

Do not think so. Read http://classiccougarcommunity.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=145

JohnB

Offline Carl

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 06:50:07 PM »
Interesting that Ford had a line item for the dash, never knew that.  Was "Power Trans Rear" normal lingo for rear axles?  Never heard it before, which is why I wondered if it was the two speed rear (which on further research never made it into production.  Still pretty far from the norm for me.

Carl

Offline JohnRB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 02:14:40 PM »
........ Still pretty far from the norm for me.

Carl

Carl

This car is pretty far from the norm for everybody :o :o :o

JohnB

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »
Most of the special orders I've seen involve a special colored painted. However, export cars, for one, often required some special equipment. Police cars, and taxis also required special modifications done at the factory. These types of special orders were often noted on the build sheet, and would likely show up on a Marti Report.

As the owner of an export Mach 1 I have discovered many things with the help of other owners. An export 'Mustang' was prepped at an offsite location prior to shipment. This usually included installing heavier duty shocks and adding an accessory kit (fuses, bulbs not common in Europe) along with a few other tidbits. The only major difference I have uncovered is the MUSTANG badging delete occured on the assembly line.
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 02:14:26 PM »
As the owner of an export Mach 1 I have discovered many things with the help of other owners. An export 'Mustang' was prepped at an offsite location prior to shipment.

Yes this would allow Ford to change some things (cars going to different things depending on the country and requirements of where it was being shipped to) but the majore things could and were handled on the line.

This usually included installing heavier duty shocks and adding an accessory kit (fuses, bulbs not common in Europe) along with a few other tidbits. The only major difference I have uncovered is the MUSTANG badging delete occured on the assembly line.

We've got plenty of examples where the line handled springs, shocks, braces and such - and of course not all export cars needed to have the Mustang badging  removed ;)  Just a small number of total export production.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 10:50:16 AM »
We've got plenty of examples where the line handled springs, shocks, braces and such - and of course not all export cars needed to have the Mustang badging  removed ;)  Just a small number of total export production.

You are correct, Jeff. My Mach came with the optional competition suspension (heavy duty shocks & springs etc) even though it is a 351C 2 bbl w/ 3 speed manual. Hardly needed except it was going to be used on the unimproved roads of Europe. This option was added during its trip down the assembly line in Detroit. The lack of 'MUSTANG' badging and addition of 'T5' badging is the major difference between my Mach and one just like to destined to be sold in the US. The 'MACH 1' badging was installed on the assembly line as well.
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1