Author Topic: Vent Window Question  (Read 1095 times)

Offline fmr187

Vent Window Question
« on: October 09, 2020, 03:52:49 PM »
What kind of metal is the pivot pin on the frame that holds the vent glass? Is it plated? How is it attached to the frame that holds the glass? I bought a complete assy and was thinking of switching the glass out since I have original carlite glass but the pivot is all tarnished.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 08:31:04 PM by J_Speegle »
65 Convertible born in Dearborn on Feb 10

Offline jwc66k

Re: vent window question
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 04:16:04 PM »
What kind of metal is the pivot pin on the frame that holds the vent glass? Is it plated? How is it attached to the frame that holds the glass? I bought a complete assy and was thinking of switching the glass out since I have original carlite glass but the pivot is all tarnished.
I can tell you that it is not magnetic, so I assume it's not steel. Because it is "staked" to the frame, the two retaining pins are peened over inside the stainless steel frame, and as it is chrome plated, it is probably brass. A friend removed them for plating on a 67 vent window frame and used small screws to reattach them. We had to notch the glass to provide clearance. I had the entire frames re-chromes on my 66 vent windows. The drawback to that is the frame is now very shiny. Masking the frame was not cost effective, or technically practical. 
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 10:13:55 PM »
There are a number of threads about refinishing the pivots if you use the search ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline fmr187

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 09:17:12 PM »
I tried the search and came up with nothing for vent window pivot refinishing. Maybe I am searching the wrong wording
65 Convertible born in Dearborn on Feb 10

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 05:27:38 PM »
I tried the search and came up with nothing for vent window pivot refinishing. Maybe I am searching the wrong wording

My search was a little easier since can recall the person that posted the information in addition to using "vent pivot". That search came up with 5 possibles and the most on point - how it was done and by whom is below

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7676.msg43816#msg43816
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline NEFaurora

Re: Vent Window Question
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 11:10:05 PM »
If he just wants to switch the glass for a vent window, That is easy... He can easily just remove the glass and swap it for the glass he wants with the vent window frame still in place.. Done it many times.. He can keep the old gasket and repair it (It usually comes out in two pieces from age)... or just install a new one....but a new one may need some trimming to fit correctly...

I like to secure the glass in and into the seal and frame using a very small amount of black urethane.  After it dries, noone sees it and noone is the wiser and the vent glass will never go anywhere... yet can still be taken apart in the future if need be...

Just my experience...and 2 cents...lol...

:o)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001