Author Topic: Steering Column Color  (Read 7457 times)

Offline 9R01M

Steering Column Color
« on: January 21, 2011, 03:38:31 AM »
Hi all,Time to reinstall the steering column in my 69 grande.But first it has to be repainted.Looks like its not quite black,kinda very dark charcoal  or gun metal grey looking with a bit of metallic in semi gloss.Appears to be original color,any one know what the name of the correct color is?

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: Steering Column Color
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 11:19:50 AM »
Hi all,Time to reinstall the steering column in my 69 grande.But first it has to be repainted.Looks like its not quite black,kinda very dark charcoal  or gun metal grey looking with a bit of metallic in semi gloss.Appears to be original color,any one know what the name of the correct color is?

Yes, the color is a dark charcoal like the lower dash panel. Years ago I found a DUPONT color chip book that had the correct color and a list of the different glosses for interior parts. I checked with my local jobber and he could no longer mix the formula because it was lacquer paint, which is mostly obsolete. I bought a spray bomb from NPD of the interior charcoal paint and was reasonably satisfied with the results, however I feel it's a little more glossy than the original. Maybe someone else has found something better or a way to get the original formula mixed.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »
Agree with the dark charcoal metallic . Normally I put down a light but full base of semi-metallic then lay over a couple of fairly dry coats of the charcoal since it often does not cover well (kind of thin) and if I lay it on heavy it fills (if your shooting a textured surface like the lower dash) or comes out too glossy (have to redo my Boss's lower doors because of this :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 9R01M

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 02:16:02 AM »

Yes, the color is a dark charcoal like the lower dash panel. Years ago I found a DUPONT color chip book that had the correct color and a list of the different glosses for interior parts. I checked with my local jobber and he could no longer mix the formula because it was lacquer paint, which is mostly obsolete. I bought a spray bomb from NPD of the interior charcoal paint and was reasonably satisfied with the results, however I feel it's a little more glossy than the original. Maybe someone else has found something better or a way to get the original formula mixed.
If you still have the book could you please post the colour code for it.I know somebody that has the old paint system in his work shop,i think ppg paint has a programme for old paint colours on there computerised paint systems.Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 02:26:48 AM »
Ditzler/PPG old number was #23586  except for things like the dash pad extensions and the rear package tray on non- folddown sportroofs. The code for those was Ditzler/PPG #32651

Sorry I don't have the other suppliers numbers available - hope it works as people are having a fair amount of difficulties getting good matches with the new toners and products. Good luck
Jeff Speegle

Offline 9R01M

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 06:35:40 AM »
Ditzler/PPG old number was #23586  except for things like the dash pad extensions and the rear package tray on non- folddown sportroofs. The code for those was Ditzler/PPG #32651

Sorry I don't have the other suppliers numbers available - hope it works as people are having a fair amount of difficulties getting good matches with the new toners and products. Good luck
Thank you mate,worth a try i guess,much appreciated.

Offline 9R01M

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 05:50:18 AM »
Thank you mate,worth a try i guess,much appreciated.
Not sure on this one but have been informed that the correct # is 32586 as opposed to 23586 but he also tells me that the mix`isnt right with todays paint.Gave me this other code #USA W3 1991 so am a bit confused.Might even try taking the steering column into a workshop and getting him to colour match .Now, to find a good colour matching guy.Perseverence is required i guess.

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 07:52:24 AM »
Correct code is 32586 PPG/Ditzler and 9354 in Dupont. I've always used the PPG formula and found it to be dead on. The trick is getting the right gloss. I used to use the acrylic lacquer that was perfect right out of the can but it scratches just looking at it. Now I'm using basecoat with a flat clear with good results but like Jeff said you need to be careful you don't fill the grain

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
Sorry for reversing the first two numbers :(
Jeff Speegle

Offline BuckeyeDemon

• Photobucket Pictures
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 11:14:18 PM »
example of 2 coats of 32586 over DPLF black.  It didn't match my original as mine seemed to have some blue tint and have very slight gloss.

with the grain on the lower dash, i can't really see the metallic.

VIN: 9F02M178303
Build Date: March 31, 1969
1969 Mach 1, Candyapple Red, 351W 4V

Offline 9R01M

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 06:38:48 AM »
That looks pretty good.But whats DPLF black?

Offline BuckeyeDemon

• Photobucket Pictures
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 11:13:34 AM »
whats DPLF black?

it's just the name of PPG's epoxy primer.  it has a semi-gloss to flat finish.  as some have mentioned, the 32586 is pretty thin so they had recommended laying down a semi gloss black before the color. 

i sprayed two wet coats of color.

the flash makes the color look pretty light.

the heavy bracket for the column support was sprayed semi gloss black, so you can see there is a slight difference.

(please don't use this example as being concours correct)

VIN: 9F02M178303
Build Date: March 31, 1969
1969 Mach 1, Candyapple Red, 351W 4V

Offline 9R01M

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 01:22:03 AM »
Thanks all for putting me on the right track .The colour looks pretty damn close buckeye so i think i will go ahead and do as prescribed.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:26:21 AM by 9R01M »