Author Topic: 66 center links  (Read 1550 times)

Offline sgl66

66 center links
« on: September 27, 2020, 03:10:37 PM »
I’m guessing that at some point in time, my center link was used to jack the car and bent. It’s been on my to do list to replace and years ago had bought what I thought was a generic manual steering center link. Obviously what I bought and have are different and I see Marcus Anghel has it on his to do list to add center links http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=23266.msg145779#msg145779

In the meantime,

1. What does the straight version belong on?
2. Any tips to straighten these out?

66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 center links
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 04:26:26 PM »
I would never consider trying to straighten one just out of safety concerns, amount of effort required  and the fact that there were hundreds of thousands of others made and should not be that difficult to find another. But that's just me - others may have different opinions
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sgl66

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 08:38:15 PM »
Thanks Jeff, I agree and will look for a replacement. Does the straight one look OEM maybe a 6 cylinder or is it a replacement piece that can go in the scrap pile?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 11:11:07 PM »
6 cylinder is shaped differently Looks to have a stud fashioned in each end  - See picture below

May be a Falcon or Fairlane. Sure one of the 5-6 guys may know
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 11:53:21 PM »
Thanks Jeff, I agree and will look for a replacement. Does the straight one look OEM maybe a 6 cylinder or is it a replacement piece that can go in the scrap pile?
The straight one looks like a typical manual steering Mustang V8 center link to me. I have a number of them salvaged from 65/66 parted out Mustangs.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 12:44:52 PM »
If memory serves correct you will see different center links for manual and power steering and V8 vs 6 cylinder.  Parts book should be an easy resource to confirm that. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 01:40:35 PM »
The power steering center links are easy to tell be cause the one end is threaded for the power control valve install. 65-70 and later.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 03:06:02 PM »
The power steering center links are easy to tell be cause the one end is threaded for the power control valve install. 65-70 and later.

1+  Except for 6 cylinder in the early years

Would post a picture but don't want to get that far off thread :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline sgl66

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 04:00:44 PM »
The straight one looks like a typical manual steering Mustang V8 center link to me. I have a number of them salvaged from 65/66 parted out Mustangs.
My guess is that there were either 2 suppliers or a change over during production. Out of curiosity I’ve been looking at several suspension pictures online including this one that Charles was involved with. http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=12072.0 In image 44, it’s very clear that the center link end has the dimple on the bottom and there are many more examples.

Besides that and the tapered end, the cotter pin holes are different sizes 9/64 for the dimpled version and 7/64 for non-dimple. The non threaded part of the stud on the dimpled version is about 3/4” and the non dimpled is around 9/16. Pitman arm is 5/8” thick. This may be a hint at a redesign because even though it was snug, mine came out easily without needing the normal tools to remove a tie rod which make me think the castle nut was bottomed out

Also included 2 pictures of a “NOS” center link currently on Ebay

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 07:13:33 PM by sgl66 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 05:46:34 PM »
My guess is that there were either 2 suppliers or a change over during production. Out of curiosity I’ve been looking at several suspension pictures online including this one that Charles was involved with. http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=12072.0 In image 44, it’s very clear that the center link end has the dimple on the bottom and there are many more examples.

Since one has what appears to be a Ford sticker on it the difference in design and details may again be the results of it being a service replacement made a decade or not later than an original. Think we need to dig a little deeper with originals to see what turns up while focusing only on V8's
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 06:36:09 PM »
I have a V8 type on the shelf with the "dimple" on the ball joint cover disc and with the letter "B" stamped in it. The "B" is about 1/4 inch tall. About 75 percent of the early years Mustangs salvaged in the San Jose, CA, area were built in the Milpitas Assembly plant. Could the "dimple" - "no dimple" cover disc be supplier and/or plant peculiar?
Jim
Some more:
My 66 Mustang GT "K" has the "B" mark. (It's 98F outdoors. The cooler concrete of the garage floor was a relief for the look-see.)
Note: A pink dab of paint on the ball joint housing has been determined to be the correct ID.
Pic: the one on the shelf.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 06:54:24 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 06:42:00 PM »
............... Could the "dimple" - "no dimple" cover disc be supplier and/or plant peculiar?
Jim

Could be that - we'll know more after we look at a few hundred or more - or as mentioned a later service replacement difference

To assist in this will post a new survey thread and we'll see if we need to do another for 65. 

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=23396.new#new
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 06:54:12 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 06:50:23 PM »
If memory serves correct you will see different center links for manual and power steering and V8 vs 6 cylinder.  Parts book should be an easy resource to confirm that.

And here it is...for both manual and power steering, the part in question has a basic part number of 3304 and is identified as a "rod assembly - steering arm to idler arm"

The standard disclosure is that this is how Ford serviced the vehicle, not necessarily exactly how it was made.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 06:57:40 PM »
Picture of a kit for the 6 cylinder PS conversion

Jeff Speegle

Offline sgl66

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 05:18:14 PM »
A pink dab of paint on the ball joint housing has been determined to be the correct ID.
I found a few other bent center links in my search but did find a straight one that once cleaned also had the pink dab of paint.