Author Topic: A/C compressor Clutch  (Read 615 times)

Offline bjf1992

A/C compressor Clutch
« on: September 22, 2020, 11:32:01 AM »
Finally got the motor running, however I noticed the A/C compressor pulley is bent. Does anyone make a correct replacement for this or do I need to  search out an original?

Dearborn April 2nd build date
1969 Q Code Standard Cougar Convertible P/S, P/B, A/C
Pastel Grey, Lt. Blue interior Black Top
Built April 2nd, Dearborn

1969 Mustang Sportsroof
September 68 Build date, Metuchen

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: A/C compressor Clutch
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 01:42:16 PM »
Finally got the motor running, however I noticed the A/C compressor pulley is bent. Does anyone make a correct replacement for this or do I need to  search out an original?

Dearborn April 2nd build date
It doesn't look bent in the picture? I don't think I have ever seen one bent before. I wonder how that happened.How are you confirming it is bent? I would hate to see you replace it if unnecessary. If it needs to be replaced there are substitutes but they typically look different in finish and or appearance compared to factory Ford. If you find that you need one and want a original NOS Ford one measure the outside diameter and PM me . I think I have a NOS one on the shelf.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bjf1992

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 02:52:11 PM »
When I fired up the car it was wobbling pretty badly. The oil sender wire was caught between the AC bracket and motor causing the oil light to stay lit so I had to pull everything apart. It also appears the upper pulley is binding as well. No sure what has happened here?

Ill pull it off the compressor and inspect closer. Maybe it can be massaged back into shape if possible??

1969 Mustang Sportsroof

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 04:40:53 PM »
When I fired up the car it was wobbling pretty badly. The oil sender wire was caught between the AC bracket and motor causing the oil light to stay lit so I had to pull everything apart. It also appears the upper pulley is binding as well. No sure what has happened here?

Ill pull it off the compressor and inspect closer. Maybe it can be massaged back into shape if possible??
Maybe not properly seated on the compressor shaft? Best of luck with the diagnosis. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bjf1992

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 10:39:04 PM »
I pulled the clutch/pulley assembly off the shaft. It appears the clutch is inserted into the pulley crooked. I'll see if I can find a local machine shop to pull it apart and seat it correctly. Same thing for the upper pulley.

1969 Mustang Sportsroof