Author Topic: Console woodgrain  (Read 559 times)

Offline Whit24

Console woodgrain
« on: September 08, 2020, 02:37:31 PM »
I have a 1966 GT fastback, San Jose, Nov 65 build, Pony interior.  I have owned the car since 1987.  While it has the woodgrain instrument bezel and glovebox the console is camera case black like the A/C.  It has been this way since I have owned the car and assume it is original but have seen old Ford adds indicating the console would be woodgrain.  Many parts suppliers sell woodgrain for the console.  What is correct for my restoration?

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Console woodgrain
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 02:55:48 PM »
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10439.msg62165#msg62165

search is your friend. used the term in your topic. welcome to the best board on the planet!
5F09C331248

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 09:46:46 PM »
Whit24.

What you have described has been discussed before on this forum but its a good reminder for all.
it seems there is examples where the woodgrain on the console is a factory thing but dealer installed consoles could be either black or woodgrain.

i have owned a few unrestored 66 cars from San Jose and Dearborn assembly plants that where deluxe interior cars and all have had consoles that i believe are factory installed but i dont have documented proof in the form of a sales invoice or windown sticker to confirm, 2 of them have had camera case black top plates on the console and the other was woodgrain example

it comes down to you what you prefer and wish to install on your car while under restoration. 

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline Whit24

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 02:08:26 PM »
Thanks Carlite65 and Outlawincorporated for the info.  I'll go back the way it is since the camera case short console matches the A/C and I believe that's the way it was originally.