Author Topic: Axle ID location  (Read 740 times)

Offline sflaten

Axle ID location
« on: August 26, 2020, 12:05:47 AM »
searched around for an answer but came up empty. As I am rebuilding engine, I have been able to identify that the engine and transmission are stamped with partial VIN that,matches the dash plate. I thought I have read that there was a number stamped or tagged on the differential and carburetor. I do not have either of these tags  nut thought I remember that they can be ordered from Marti. Is there anything stamped n the rear end to confirm? if so, where do I look?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 05:35:20 AM by J_Speegle »
Steve
1969 Mach 1, Champagne Gold
Dearborn built 3/4/69
351W 4V, PS, Power disc brakes
past ownership; 69 Mach 1(red), 79 Pace car, 69 Mach 1 (gold), 89 GT, 2011 GT500 (still own)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Axle ID location
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 01:54:58 AM »
searched around for an answer but came up empty. As I am rebuilding engine, I have been able to identify that the engine and transmission are stamped with partial VIN that,matches the dash plate. I thought I have read that there was a number stamped or tagged on the differential and carburetor. I do not have either of these tags  nut thought I remember that they can be ordered from Marti. Is there anything stamped n the rear end to confirm? if so, where do I look?
You are going to need a more precise description of the application of car in discussion because your question without that information could ramble on to thousands of pages to cover all possibilities ;) . There is no VIN on the axle or carb. I think you are confusing the identification of the proper carb or differential that is appropriate for your car with VIN code marking. That identification of those items can include Ford engineering numbers and date codes but no VIN on those parts from the factory. A couple of general observations are that the rear end ratio can be deduced by counting revolutions of drive shaft vs. tire revolution to get a close guesstimation .There are a number of different rear end case styles too.  Holley carbs have stamped marking on the air horn for identification. Ford carbs are more difficult and may require partial disassembly to determine size.I will let others go into specifics on each as there is a lot of ground to cover given your general statement.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 05:36:29 AM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 05:28:18 AM »
As Bob stated there are identification tags or numbers on the parts which sometimes will include dates. They will give you an idea if that part may be original to your car. See you have a March built Dearborn Mach I with a 351 4V and guessing it's an automatic car

VIN stampings that identify a specific car is another thing and not something Ford did to individual parts except for uni-bodies, door tags, engines and transmissions during  1969 production

Of course there are some owners that applied the VIN or the owners drivers license number to certain parts on their car to discourage or help them locate auto thief or taking of just the parts.

If you choose to go the date route check out the article in the Library section of this site. It will get you off to a decent start of the date coding, possible location of the date on parts and related subjects. Depending on how deep you want to dig there are hundreds typically found on almost any Mustang

- Door tag or Marti report will provide you with the original rearend code since you mention it's missing. You can get a repo one of those.

- For the carb check the base on the drivers side towards the front for a stamped set of letters and numbers
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 05:38:36 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sflaten

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 10:19:57 PM »
thanks guys, that is what I was looking for. I have found the numbers on the engine and transmission. I was not sure if there were similar stamps on the diff.

I have the door tag, but no buck tag or one on carb or rear. Just trying to make the car "right". Should finish rebuilding engine this weekend and will be painting with the direction this site has provided.
Thanks again.
Steve
1969 Mach 1, Champagne Gold
Dearborn built 3/4/69
351W 4V, PS, Power disc brakes
past ownership; 69 Mach 1(red), 79 Pace car, 69 Mach 1 (gold), 89 GT, 2011 GT500 (still own)