Author Topic: pinch weld black out paint  (Read 660 times)

Offline evantugby

pinch weld black out paint
« on: August 21, 2020, 11:27:20 AM »
I just want to confirm the pinch weld blackout paint application on my 66 kar.

The current status of my kar right now (picture) with the blue overspray has been applied.  I plan on applying the pinch weld black paint next with a spray gun using semi-gloss black (same engine bay paint). I will make sure there is some overspray onto the rocker panel, floor pan and frame rails.     

Jeff Speegle--Request any photos of 1966 mustangs from NJ and SJ on the pinch weld black overspray.  Thanks sir!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 01:55:49 PM by evantugby »
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: pinch weld black out paint
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 06:11:23 PM »
I just want to confirm the pinch weld blackout paint application on my 66 kar.

The current status of my kar right now (picture) with the blue overspray has been applied.  I plan on applying the pinch weld black paint next with a spray gun using semi-gloss black (same engine bay paint). I will make sure there is some overspray onto the rocker panel, floor pan and frame rails.     

Basic idea. The end of the rocker panel pass and the beginning of the quarter panel spray will end and start in the rear wheel well and would produce a "blow out" of paint at both ends over the frame rail and sound deadener on the wheel well.

Typically the body color would have traveled further than what you have but it would likely pass in a judged event depending. With the higher pressure and more paint the period spray guns produced there was allot of fine spray that could travel all the way to the driveline tunnel. Visibility of this overspray is dependent on the colors and contrast

While we have a picture not sure what your end goal is but the sealant around the front seat belt anchors and the other spray on sealer we see in the pictures is unlike any of the typical things we see from any of the plants originally in 66. Just needed to be mentioned since the pictures will be seen by many viewing this thread over time.

ff Speegle--Request any photos of 1966 mustangs from NJ and SJ on the pinch weld black overspray.  Thanks sir!

Don't want to post, in response, pictures of both San Jose and Dearborn  (Edited)  NJ together in one thread. Even though the results of the spraying is the same/similar its just not good practice and something we try and resist. Of course the floor color on a Dearborn car would not be red oxide colored so not sure how that applies. Will create a new thread though to get some pictures up for those building those cars as we have the San Jose.

For San Jose you might want to look at the following. Came up when using the search button in the top tool bar using "66 pinch weld" :;)

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=16170.msg101228#msg101228

Unrestored car threads including

66 San Jose GT Coupe - Unrestored - Picture Thread

Late 66 GT350 - Unrestored Picture Thread

« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 07:08:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline evantugby

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 06:32:47 PM »
Jeff,
Thanks for the reply.  I was looking for Metuchen and San Jose photos of the pinch weld black spray, not Dearborn.

Also I need to respray red oxide primer in my transmission tunnel area around the parking brake brackets and seatbelt reinforcements.  That will certainly be fixed. 
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 07:08:03 PM »
Jeff,
Thanks for the reply.  I was looking for Metuchen and San Jose photos of the pinch weld black spray, not Dearborn.

Sorry read it incorrectly

Not allot of good pictures or examples from NJ due to the conditions of many of them. Think I have one were I was able to clean and shoot the under carriage. Will find and post them

Also I need to respray red oxide primer in my transmission tunnel area around the parking brake brackets and seatbelt reinforcements.  That will certainly be fixed.

Yes noticed the e brake bracket had been added. Other long strips of spray may be a bit of a challenge
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)