Author Topic: 1970 Assembly Line Radiators  (Read 1118 times)

Offline cobrajet_carl

1970 Assembly Line Radiators
« on: August 20, 2020, 02:39:20 PM »
I have been trying to figure out what radiator my March DB 1970 mach came with. No build sheet info other than the fan appears to indicate C8SE-B. From my short list of build sheets that have the radiator number (or parts of it) legible I have found the following:

Metuchen   M   Auto   NO AC   C9ZE-M   C8SE-B
Metuchen   M   4sp   NO AC   C9ZE-L   C8SE-A
Dearborn   H(W)   Auto   AC   D0ZE-?   C8SE-B
Metuchen   H(W)   Auto    C9ZE-M   C8SE-B
Metuchen   M   3sp   NO AC   C9ZE-L   C8SE-A
Dearborn   H(C)   3sp   NO AC   C9ZE-L   C8SE-A
Dearborn   T   3sp   NO AC   D0ZE-T   C8YE-A
Dearborn   G   4sp   NO AC   D0ZE-E?   C8SE-B

I bought a Daniel Carpenter "original tooling" fan shroud and it can't be attached because the width of the radiator is at least an inch too short. I think I have a re-cored frankenradiator. The core is 23" wide and the bottom tank has the petcock on the driver's side. The top tank has FoMoCo and the side strap reads D0ZE-B1. My M code 4 speed no AC 3.91 would mean a 24" radiator but I don't know what number.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 02:56:13 PM by cobrajet_carl »
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1970 Assembly Line Radiators
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 03:50:55 PM »
I have been trying to figure out what radiator my March DB 1970 mach came with. No build sheet info other than the fan appears to indicate C8SE-B. From my short list of build sheets that have the radiator number (or parts of it) legible I have found the following:

Metuchen   M   4sp   NO AC   C9ZE-L   C8SE-A
Dearborn   H(W)   Auto   AC   D0ZE-?   C8SE-B
Metuchen   H(W)   Auto    C9ZE-M   C8SE-B
Metuchen   M   3sp   NO AC   C9ZE-L   C8SE-A
Dearborn   H(C)   3sp   NO AC   C9ZE-L   C8SE-A
Dearborn   T   3sp   NO AC   D0ZE-T   C8YE-A
Dearborn   G   4sp   NO AC   D0ZE-E?   C8SE-B

I bought a Daniel Carpenter "original tooling" fan shroud and it can't be attached because the width of the radiator is at least an inch too short. I think I have a re-cored frankenradiator. The core is 23" wide and the bottom tank has the petcock on the driver's side. The top tank has FoMoCo and the side strap reads D0ZE-B1. My M code 4 speed no AC 3.91 would mean a 24" radiator but I don't know what number.
It appears that you are correct with your assessment of having a re-cored frankenradiator . Definitely a FE radiator . You have basically a radiator for a 67 style 390/428 Mustang that someone made up using later side straps. The 67 390/428 fan shroud will fit that radiator you have. It is a 67 only style.  The radiators became longer with more cooling capacity 68-70 big block. Even though a smallblock would have the outlet on the passenger side the same is true for those too in that a 68-70 small block radiator depending on application would ether have a smaller or larger width radiator compared to what you have. 67 smallblock radiator regardless of application looks completely different compared to 67 FE radiator you have.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 01:58:39 PM »
OK, makes sense upon seeing the 67 390 fan shroud. But back to the original question, what part number would be on the correct 24" manual trans small block radiator? My D0ZE-B1 side strap has a date code of 0BB, which would be a decent date for a March 17th build date. Is it possible the original side strap was used with the incorrect tanks and core when rebuilt sometime in the last 50 years? Or was that just a coincidence from the parts pile the radiator shop had lying around? MustangTek site lists the D0ZE-A as correct and the D0ZE-B for auto which is even more confusing.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 09:06:08 PM by cobrajet_carl »
Carl

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 07:30:11 PM »
I had my Dearborn H (C) 3sp No AC C9ZE-L1 radiator recored years ago and added an NOS shroud from JD Larson. Cleaned up the OE fasteners and Ta-Da !!
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 11:27:48 PM »
I had my Dearborn H (C) 3sp No AC C9ZE-L1 radiator recored years ago and added an NOS shroud from JD Larson. Cleaned up the OE fasteners and Ta-Da !!
Awesome!
Carl