Author Topic: Spare Wheel w/Styled steel wheels  (Read 666 times)

Offline Broncobuilders

Spare Wheel w/Styled steel wheels
« on: August 10, 2020, 07:54:59 AM »
My 65 Dearborn built car has styled steel wheels. Should it have one in the spare also, or a plain steel wheel? Thanks
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 08:10:11 PM by J_Speegle »
1965 c code convertible
1966 A code convertible

Offline 67gta289

Re: Styled steel wheels
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 08:53:02 AM »
This is one of the more common questions.  Maybe something to add to the FAQ threads?

If I recall correctly, the conclusion was that there is no conclusion, primarily because this was a common item for dealers to mess around with.

Also I don't recall seeing any Ford documentation, nor assembly line pictures providing evidence one way or the other.

The general consensus is that it can go either way.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 12:36:52 PM »
On a previous forum, there was an additional bit of "mystery" added, if the car came with four Dual Redline tires on four Style Steel Wheels, and spare tire was not a Dual Redline (extra cost), the spare rim and tire were standard. If car came with five Dual Redline tires and Style Steel Wheels, the spare was a Style Steel Wheel. In any case, the buyer paid for it.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 03:23:25 PM »
I can't remember if I brought this up in one of the previous threads on Styled Steel Wheels, but in any case, it is something to ponder..

In the 1965, 1966 and 1967 individual year MPC's (Parts and Accessories Catalogs), each has a listing of wheels that were available for that Model Year. The listing shows applications, size of the wheel, number of lugs, lug bolt spacing. etc. Specifically the columns shown for each wheel have the headings of "Model", "Part Number", "Qty Per Vehicle", and "Description". In every case, the "Qty Per Vehicle" for Mustang Styled Steel Wheels is shown as "5". While MPC's are generally considered "Service Part Oriented", the question remains, why would "5" be shown when if a person only needed one to replace a damaged one, it could be purchase by "each" ?

Another interesting little "tidbit", is that in the 1965 and 1966 Ford Accessory Catalogs, the Mustang Styled Steel Wheels are shown, and priced as a "Set of 4", ye t in the 1967 Accessory Catalog, they are shown and priced by "each".

Just a little more to think about on this subject.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 04:12:30 PM »
Specifically the columns shown for each wheel have the headings of "Model", "Part Number", "Qty Per Vehicle", and "Description". In every case, the "Qty Per Vehicle" for Mustang Styled Steel Wheels is shown as "5".
Yes, 5 wheels are required per vehicle, but ordered, inventory and sold as one under that stock number.
Another interesting little "tidbit", is that in the 1965 and 1966 Ford Accessory Catalogs, the Mustang Styled Steel Wheels are shown, and priced as a "Set of 4", ye t in the 1967 Accessory Catalog, they are shown and priced by "each".
It's a sales ploy for dealers to flash an accessory calalog for those that don't have Style Steel Wheels - "you need to buy this set of four wheels" - was the message and selling point, so a set was priced with four wheels. Then the "Madison Avenue" types got in the mix with the sales philosophy of "each".
Madison Avenue is the problem, seldom the solution.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.