Author Topic: correct armrest pad on Mach 1 center console?  (Read 1273 times)

Offline palacekeeper

correct armrest pad on Mach 1 center console?
« on: July 08, 2020, 03:48:32 PM »
Does anyone know how I can determine which center console armrest pad my car would have come with? It's a Metuchen built Mach 1 (built December 1969) and it seems like there are the 3 hump armrests and the flatter style that is shaped like a a slight upside down V in the middle.

I thought that the 1970 Mach 1 automatically came with a deluxe interior, and that would have meant the 3 hump armrest. However, I recently obtained an original 1970 dealer brochure and none of the pictures show the Mach 1 interior with the 3 humps.

Would the 3 hump style have been a specific option, maybe? Or is it simply not a correct part for the car?

Thanks!
1970 Mustang Mach 1, Grabber Blue
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen
Build Date: December 19, 1969
Dealer: 21A461 Whaley-Dailey Ford Sales, Conyers, GA

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: correct armrest pad on Mach 1 center console?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 06:01:34 PM »
The three hump style is typically found on Shelby and Cougar applications. Yes some may have been assembled with the incorrect arm rest but that would seem to be an oddity and a mistake

If you look through the pictures posted in the unrestored picture section of the site you will see examples of the typical usage

Some examples have titles such as

70 Dearborn CJ Mach I - Unrestored Picture Thread

70 Metuchen H code Mach I - Dec Build - Unrestored Picture Thread

Late 70 H code Dearborn Mach I - Unrestored Picture Thread

70 Dearborn- Drag Pak CJ Mach I - Unrestored Picture Thread
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 07:55:34 PM »
I only have Dearborn and my Ginger and Ivy interiors have 3 hump lids. All of the Black lids on my cars are flat. Two mistakes I guess.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 08:16:59 PM »
Okay I guess I'm trying to determine whether I should swap out my 3 bump one for the other one or not. The 3 bump one is nice but it's also fairly obvious if it's a mistake, so just trying to make that determination. The attached PDF copy of the brochure is what I was referring to.
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 08:46:46 PM »
Okay I guess I'm trying to determine whether I should swap out my 3 bump one for the other one or not. The 3 bump one is nice but it's also fairly obvious if it's a mistake, so just trying to make that determination. The attached PDF copy of the brochure is what I was referring to.

Be careful about using brochures for determining details for production cars since many of the cars used in those pictures have details that were not on regular production cars. Some years and examples more than others. What Ford had planned before production started or after it juts began did often change with issues not anticipated or because of suppliers and or federal regulations.

Just a voice of caution ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 11:34:03 PM »
Okay, thanks for the information on this. much appreciated!
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 10:05:27 AM »
By the way, any recommendations on which armrest to buy that would be closest to the original? NPD has one from Daniel Carpenter but I also saw one on cougarpartscatalog.com that looks pretty good, and same for Virginia Classic Mustang:

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/69z-6506024.html

https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/69-70-Console-Arm-Rest-Pad-Standard-Interior-Black-P3107.aspx

thoughts/opinions?

thanks
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 10:29:24 AM »
Just FYI. My 2 Metuchen cars, 9/11/69 and 9/30/69 (Vermillion and White interiors, both black consoles) have flat lids and My M code car (Dearborn, 1/23/70) has a Ginger interior and also has a flat lid... The first  two cars ar e fairly low mileage (59K, 86K) and the Ginger interior car was alot of miles , but I bought it off the original owner in 1986 so I'm almost positive they all have the original parts ....

In my spare parts pile I have 4 extra 70 consoles, Black, 2 Green, and a Blue. all have flat lids...

A friend worked at a Lincoln/mercury dealer in 68-73 and some of my best new mustang take off parts came from him. Apparently it was not uncommon for Cougars to come in with a mustang horn pad or one mustang door panel and they would switch them out at the dealer..

Just some more data points, John

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 02:21:55 PM »
By the way, any recommendations on which armrest to buy that would be closest to the original? NPD has one from Daniel Carpenter but I also saw one on cougarpartscatalog.com that looks pretty good, and same for Virginia Classic Mustang:

Likely the same maker. Don't think there are two companies that are reproducing them
Jeff Speegle

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 06:48:09 PM »
Okay thanks.  I appreciate all the responses and info.
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline hankmeister

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 12:37:22 PM »
A few days late on this thread, but my Metuchen-built sportsroof (Dec '69) also has the 3 hump armpad. The Marti report shows it was ordered with the console, so it wasn't added later. I've owned the car since 1981, and except for Cragar style wheels was completely original. So I'm thinking they may have grabbed whatever was handy that day (flat or 3-hump) and put it in.

best
H
Hank
70 Fastback
351C / 4 bbl / 4 spd / front disc brakes
No a/c or p/s
Wimbledon Wht

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 02:32:28 PM »

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/69z-6506024.html

https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/69-70-Console-Arm-Rest-Pad-Standard-Interior-Black-P3107.aspx

thoughts/opinions?

thanks

Daniel Carpenter is where WCCC gets this pad.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 02:39:52 PM »
A few days late on this thread, but my Metuchen-built sportsroof (Dec '69) also has the 3 hump armpad. The Marti report shows it was ordered with the console, so it wasn't added later. I've owned the car since 1981, and except for Cragar style wheels was completely original. So I'm thinking they may have grabbed whatever was handy that day (flat or 3-hump) and put it in.

Could have easily just a prior owner replaced the original with a three hump. Lots of things could have taken place by 81. Just a possibility given all that time We were making allot of repairs and alterations (not really focused on exact original parts at the time) by the late 70's on a ton of these cars
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 06:25:35 PM »
The three hump style is typically found on Shelby and Cougar applications. Yes some may have been assembled with the incorrect arm rest but that would seem to be an oddity and a mistake

If you look through the pictures posted in the unrestored picture section of the site you will see examples of the typical usage

Some examples have titles such as

70 Dearborn CJ Mach I - Unrestored Picture Thread

70 Metuchen H code Mach I - Dec Build - Unrestored Picture Thread

Late 70 H code Dearborn Mach I - Unrestored Picture Thread

70 Dearborn- Drag Pak CJ Mach I - Unrestored Picture Thread
+1 . Most likely three hump is a PO replacement given the overwelming majority of examples that confirm the way the lid was intended to be on regular Mustangs.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby