Author Topic: Blackout Hood Cleaner?  (Read 468 times)

Offline bpmdu

Blackout Hood Cleaner?
« on: June 19, 2020, 04:54:40 PM »
Just wondering what others use to clean/maintain their blackout hoods?  Currently using a product from Meguiars that I'm not thrilled with.  Have heard some good things about PoorBoys products but wanted to see what others out there are using?  I know cleaning flat black paint can be troublesome.

Offline Brian Conway

Re: Blackout Hood Cleaner?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 05:42:58 PM »
Currently using Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer hydro polymer blah blah.  Only wax the car occasionally using Meguiar's liquid wax.  Use the detailer once a week or so and does a good job.  Have had other products cloud up and scare the poo out of me.  So sticking with Meguiar's for now. Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Blackout Hood Cleaner?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 07:03:45 PM »
First welcome to the site. Hope you find support and information helpful in your concours related endeavors

For cleaning it depends on what I suspect the problem is. A light detergent mixed with water on a cool surface takes care of bird droppings, dirt and dust. For wax that has gotten on the black - silicon and wax remover

After that I've used Lemon Pledge for years. It can create a situation where it can attract more blowing "stuff" and deepen the look of the black. Don't use any more than needed but it does remove the chalky look that the black can take on at times

Sure others have their favorite unfortunately often products we find that work don't stay around long without being changed or altered from their earlier form
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)