Author Topic: Carter X Fuel Pump  (Read 1610 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

Carter X Fuel Pump
« on: June 08, 2020, 03:12:13 PM »
I have a rebuilt Carter X 4441S fuel pump on my 428 CJ which as been rebuilt with a new pump kit. My question is has anyone had issues with this pump building to much fuel pressure so the carb fuel bowl floats will not control the fuel levels in the front and back bowls of the correct Holley AB carb, which has also been refurbished and rebuilt.
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Carter X Fuel Pump
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 03:29:58 PM »
I have a rebuilt Carter X 4441S fuel pump on my 428 CJ which as been rebuilt with a new pump kit. My question is has anyone had issues with this pump building to much fuel pressure so the carb fuel bowl floats will not control the fuel levels in the front and back bowls of the correct Holley AB carb, which has also been refurbished and rebuilt.
You may want to plumb in a temporary fuel pressure gauge to determine how much pressure the pump is making. That may help determine if it is your pump or possibly weak parts in the carb.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 03:33:32 PM »
Thanks Bob, yes was thinking that just assumed the Carter X being the stock pump should not be doing that and wanted some feedback on it.
Do you know what ohm resister is needed on the coil for my engine run test stand to replicate the resister wire in the harness??

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 03:36:57 PM »
Never have had any trouble with X pumps making too much pressure. More likely dirt or corrosion in one of the needle / seats in the carburetor, or perhaps the float is simply set too high. Currently have two cars of my own and a third in the garage all with X pumps and Holley carbs.

1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 03:42:57 PM »
Thanks Bob, yes was thinking that just assumed the Carter X being the stock pump should not be doing that and wanted some feedback on it.
Do you know what ohm resister is needed on the coil for my engine run test stand to replicate the resister wire in the harness??
I would contact midlife on this forum. He is the wiring guru. I would like to know also so that I can get rid of the resistor wire that I robbed out of a donor harness. Please post what you find out.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 03:59:58 PM »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 04:20:20 PM »
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-ru-37

So you have confirmed 1.20 ohms is what the Ford wiring systems uses? There are many different value ballast resistors and the Summit application did not list Ford so it has me wondering.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 08:50:38 PM »
1.3 to 1.7 ohms, with 1.5 being typical.  When refurbishing harnesses, anything between 1.3 and 1.9 I consider acceptable, considering I don't calibrate my ohm-meter by taking a tare reading. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 11:30:05 PM »
I didn't have many options today when sourcing a coil ballast resistor, and this before I saw Midlife's post, and settle for an MSD 0.8 ohm unit. I installed it to get my engine/cam break-in done today and it worked flawlessly connected to the coil, and a full 12V to the pertronix ignition in the distributor.

Regarding the fuel pump, I had a squeeze bulb in the temp fuel line to prime the pump and I believe the check valve in the squeeze bulb was causing pressure issues in the pump. Also the front bowl on the carb had a piece install incorrectly by the rebuilder and was causing the float to stick in one position sometimes. I also check the Carter X for fuel pressure and it puts out about 7 psi dead headed against a pressure gauge I put on the temporary fuel line when I had the carb removed.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 11:34:58 PM by 1970 Snake »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 11:37:21 PM »
Also many after market coils have a internal resistor they can run 12v to them with out them getting hot.for instance I have a bunch of new pertronix epoxy coils that are short and stubby looking like a Ford coil instead of the typical tall GM style coil. I have them that use the resistor like OEM Ford and others that run on 12v like the igniter ignition.  They have been obsolete for about 5 years now.  I paint them the yellow top color. They are for those that besides running the pertronix pointless ignition want the 40,000 volt pertronix coil that looks very close to the OEM yellow top. PM me if anyone is interested.   
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 11:44:29 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 12:25:21 AM »
So you have confirmed 1.20 ohms is what the Ford wiring systems uses? There are many different value ballast resistors and the Summit application did not list Ford so it has me wondering.

The one quoted is on the low ohm reading end.
If you want a higher ohm (1.6), here that is:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/upd-s1210

Ford won't be listed since they use a wire and these weren't used by the factory (that I'm aware).
But in those cases where the wire burnt up I've seen them used with a regular 12v wire. Looks very Mopar when used on a Ford.

Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 01:01:11 AM »
The one quoted is on the low ohm reading end.
If you want a higher ohm (1.6), here that is:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/upd-s1210

Ford won't be listed since they use a wire and these weren't used by the factory (that I'm aware).
But in those cases where the wire burnt up I've seen them used with a regular 12v wire. Looks very Mopar when used on a Ford.
Cobra ,Tiger, Griffith and maybe other Ford powered used ballast resistor. Mainly wanted to know for if using a Ford coil on a engine test stand. As a alternative as I mentioned is using a coil that has a built in resistor.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 01:19:23 AM »
Bob, can you advise what the approximate oil pressure should be at idle on a 428 CJ running a Melling HV oil pump.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 01:58:36 AM »
Bob, can you advise what the approximate oil pressure should be at idle on a 428 CJ running a Melling HV oil pump.
I would contact RoyceP on this forum .

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 11:30:44 AM »
It all depends on condition of the engine. Everything right with a new Melling HV pump it ought to read 30 - 40 PSI at idle warm. Maybe 50 - 60 at higher RPM warm.

Often rebuilders do things to modify the oil system like installing restrictors at the rocker shafts or the passages leading to the rocker shafts. This can cause higher pressure readings.

On the other hand sometimes builders don't understand FE engines and they install the rocker shafts upside down or use worn shafts or worn rockers or have a leak at the rocker stand that supplies oil pressure to the rockers. This can result in lower oil pressure and is dangerous.

Doug Garifo sells a shim kit that results in 85 - 100 PSI from the HV pump. This is dangerous on a street driven car as you can blow up an oil filter on a cold morning.

I would contact RoyceP on this forum .
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock