Author Topic: Axle Housing Paint Marks - 9" 31 spline 1970  (Read 871 times)

Offline Mike_B_SVT

Axle Housing Paint Marks - 9" 31 spline 1970
« on: May 31, 2020, 01:36:39 PM »
1970, Dearborn, October 6th 1969 build date.  9", 31 spline axles, factory 3.91 traction lok.

Ok, my axle housing is all cleaned up, repainted, and ready for me to put marks back on...  and I'm trying to figure out this orange number so I can attempt to recreate it somewhat accurately.  I THINK it looks like a 19 with a small line under it, but does that make sense?  I've not seen many other examples to compare it to.  I also found a X9 inside the center section, and I'm wondering if that "19" could actually be "X9" as well.

Driver's side of the center section

Inside the center section

« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 08:00:13 PM by Mike_B_SVT »
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline Mike_B_SVT

Re: Axle Housing Paint Marks - 9" 31 spline 1970
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 01:41:09 PM »
I did find a few other marks on my housing as well.
- a single bluish-green dot (with a run or maybe swipe) at the hole for the brake lines.
- a yellow slash or X (maybe another 9?) on the front passenger side near the pedestal.

Mike B.

1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Cat Bites Man!

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 03:39:15 PM »
What gears were in it from the factory?
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 03:58:37 PM »
Will look through my files for some additional examples of the orange number and line at the drivers tube to center section (housing)  Not sure the purpose (may be the worker) but it doesn't match the axle splines

The mark at the brake line and or vent holes on the drivers side tube marks the location of the holes so the worker installing both or either can quickly locate and install the items. Typically its a short somewhat narrow line and if the worker applied allot of paint to the brush a run was created and it continued down the back side further than the brush mark. Of course these could be short or longer depending on that particular car - the worker really didn't care as long as it got marked.

Only have a hand full of internal markings - Difficult to collect on most cars since they are unseen. Tube markings (thin crayon) differ allot and have not found a pattern yet. Have not found the axle tag numbers written on the tubes except for maybe (not real clear) on one example  - in most cases these marks have been single digits or single markings
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 08:03:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 07:57:58 PM »
What gears were in it from the factory?

Carl, factory 3.91's.  I'll add that back in to my initial post.

Thanks for checking into it Jeff, I appreciate it.
Mike B.

1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 08:21:24 PM »
Took a look.

Found a fair number of 9" rear end housings with what could be a 9 (depends on how you rotate the sccreen :) on the interior of the housing as you show,  Number of different colors used in 69-70

As far as the number applied on the drivers side of the center section of the housing found three examples from Oct (rearend tags dated 9J the month before) 69 and are as follows. They seem to appear to be 31 with a line below or one even a 34 with line below. Pretty similar handwritting. Find similar or the same markings (not all examples) back to 66 production.

Believe this may be from your car and an earlier posting :)

As far as tube think crayon markings - still no patterns. See about half a dozen of individual numbers or letters. Of course you should return markings as you found them. But understand it can be interesting to compare and discuss them
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 11:36:06 PM »
Thanks Jeff!

Yes, I was planning on returning the marks that I found.  I was mostly hoping to make sense of them ~ is it a 9 or am I just seeing something in a random squiggle?  Is the yellow swoosh supposed to be a number or just a swoosh?  LOL!
Mike B.

1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

Cat Bites Man!

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 09:52:43 AM »
Looks like an X and a lower case g to me. Probably some sort of inspector marks.

Thanks Jeff!

Yes, I was planning on returning the marks that I found.  I was mostly hoping to make sense of them ~ is it a 9 or am I just seeing something in a random squiggle?  Is the yellow swoosh supposed to be a number or just a swoosh?  LOL!
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 02:36:30 PM »
Thanks Jeff!

Yes, I was planning on returning the marks that I found.  I was mostly hoping to make sense of them ~ is it a 9 or am I just seeing something in a random squiggle?

If the housing was sitting, while being marked, as it would be in the car my thought is it was a 9. Possibly the number identifying the worker or a line. Much quicker with a brush to make it with one moment and not worry about writing it as one was taught in school. Really doesn't matter at this point IMHO as long as, if reapplying, it looks like what it looked like. Could be a 6 if applied from the other direction

Another example

Is the yellow swoosh supposed to be a number or just a swoosh?  LOL!

Don't know and don't have any others like that to compare
Jeff Speegle