Author Topic: Louver Hinges on the roof: Pic Request  (Read 2866 times)

Offline Angela

Louver Hinges on the roof: Pic Request
« on: May 11, 2020, 05:33:06 PM »
I would be very appreciative if someone would be willing to snap a few photos of their 69 or 70 louvers, as they sit on the car. Specifically, I am trying to see the relative distance between the trailing edge of the hinge and the edge of the roof/glass.

I had to replace my roof and I have the rear glass reinstalled with the louvers and hinges sitting on the glass. I *think*, but am not certain, there should be approx 1/8" to 3/16" gap between the edge of the roof and the hinge. I'm looking for photos and/or measurements from other cars to confirm this.

In case it helps someone in the future, the louver latches are affixed to the panel behind the window, 1/2" to 9/16" below the glass/panel edge. You can almost get that right without measuring due to the fact that the gasket makes a pretty nice template. :-)

On a related subject:     Are the reproduction louver hinge gaskets (between roof and hinges) thicker than the OEM? They seem too thick, which causes the hinge to hold the louvers off of the glass near the top.

Thanks!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Louver Hinges on the roof: Pic Request
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 07:44:34 PM »
To reminded others here were the comments last time

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17231.msg108367#msg108367

Will see if I have some though invite anyone with pictures of their own or measurements to not wait for me :) - Update - don't have any pictures of the hinge base to window edge with the louvers in the open/upright position.

As mentioned before when I've added them I simply placed the louvers with hinges and gaskets on the car Placed masking tape over the area under the hinges and marked the tape  through the mounting screw holes
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 07:56:54 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 08:14:22 PM »
Only shot I could come up with 70 Dearborn example

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 07:52:47 AM »
My 69.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 01:07:14 PM »
Brian are those original hinges and latches in the pictures or repops? I have been thinking of replacing my originals as they are not pristine and wondered how good the repops are before I go spending money on them.
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 03:02:10 PM »
In these pictures the hinges and lower latche's are OE.  I have since replaced the uppers.  Very negligible differences.  Mostly a difference in the hinge pin appearance. On my original uppers the chrome faded away on one section-2nd pic. I think re-chroming would not worth the effort.  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Angela

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 04:49:33 PM »
THANKS GUYS!!!!! Very helpful!

Brian, in your top photo, if you pressed down on the section of the hinge (with the screws removed) which attaches to the roof, do you notice the louvers lifting off the glass about 1/16" or a little more?

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 06:42:46 PM »
No.  Firm and sure.
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 01:02:45 AM »
Thanks Brian, would you mind advising where you got the new uppers?

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 04:40:53 PM »
Thanks Brian, would you mind advising where you got the new uppers?

NPD ?
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 05:10:41 PM »
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure as their part description is a bit unclear as to the quality.

Offline Angela

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 01:56:25 PM »
No.  Firm and sure.

Thanks for checking Brian.    I am puzzled as to why my louvers don't touch the glass at the top of the glass (adjacent to roof) on the driver's side. Passenger side seems fine. I've tried the OEM hinges as well as the NPD hinges and find the same issue:  With the hinge attached to the louvers, I can lay the louvers and hinges onto the glass and set them onto the roof gaskets. If I then press down on the hinge as if I was tightening the screws into the roof, the louvers lift off of the glass about 1/16" or perhaps a little more. I can't figure out if the problem lies with the roof, the glass, the louvers being bent? Everything looks straight and normal except for the air-gap I've described.

Anyway, thanks again for the helpful pictures!

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 09:57:58 PM »
No help here.  I can't help but think that 1/16" of mystery slop is a wonder.  I am thinking of all the grief you and that roof have been through.  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 10:30:33 PM »
Angela, may I suggest and would it be possible for you to post a couple of pictures of your mounted and louver closed hinges, pretty much just like the one Brian posted Slats #12, post one of the DS & PS and then a bunch of us can see what your seeing and maybe someone will come up with a solution.

Offline Angela

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 07:57:17 AM »
Angela, may I suggest and would it be possible for you to post a couple of pictures of your mounted and louver closed hinges, pretty much just like the one Brian posted Slats #12, post one of the DS & PS and then a bunch of us can see what your seeing and maybe someone will come up with a solution.

I would LOVE to post pictures! While I used to be able to post pics to this forum, several years ago I ceased having permission to do so. I've contacted Charles perhaps 4 or 5 times regarding this matter and he states that my account permissions appear correct. I do appreciate his help looking into the matter. Whatever the problem may be, it is not likely my computer(s) or internet connection... I say this because I can post pictures to every other forum I belong to without issue. Trust me, I've tried to upload pics to this forum using multiple computers and multiple internet access points (from home and work) and all attempts fail with a cryptic error message that seems to imply I don't have permission.

I'll snap a few pictures today. Perhaps there's someone willing to let me email pics to them and post on my behalf?