Author Topic: Mastic Washers for '70?  (Read 716 times)

Offline Mike_B_SVT

Mastic Washers for '70?
« on: April 24, 2020, 01:20:47 PM »
So, where all were Mastic Washers used for the '70 models and what sizes were used?   *I know they were used to keep water out of the body spaces, but I don't know what sizes were used where, or how many are typically used on a car.  I looked through the Body Weld and Sealer book, but didn't really see anything about this.  I'm guessing it's covered in a different book?

https://www.amkproducts.com/bulk-fasteners-listing/?codeforlookup=8430
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Mastic Washers for '70?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 02:54:22 PM »
First place that comes to mind  on 70 and other years would be the rear bumper mount to taillight panel around those bolts on inside and on the exterior side

Can't think of another location right this moment and don't know the size though you can likely guess which of the available sizes would work for the application or could be modified if needed
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 11:33:13 PM »
Thanks Jeff!
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline Wills70

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 08:46:43 AM »
I believe these were used on the nuts for the seat frame to body, the rear qtr panel extensions , nuts securing the AC heater box to firewall ??

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 06:46:53 PM »
I believe these were used on the nuts for the seat frame to body, the rear qtr panel extensions , nuts securing the AC heater box to firewall ??

Don't recall ever finding them on the seat frame to floor nuts. Haven't had as many 70's apart as earlier years. Since these are reproduction designed to add to original or reproduction hardware I guess I over looked some since I believe a number of applications came with the sealant preinstalled on/with the hardware like the firewall nuts and other locations. Many just use some dum-dum (strip chalking) in the void of the nut and reinstall them rather than purchase the rings
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)